Latest: Price has increased, Shipping, Maker Faire recap

Are you in Canada? The only problem is the units are not in Seattle, they are being manufactured somewhere else. (And we don’t know where that is, just that it is somewhere in the US.)

I think some other Canadians are making arrangements to set up a delivery to a US address and then driving down to get it - you might want to look into doing something like that if it makes sense financially.

Got any friends across the border? That would be the best way to handle it. You would just give that shipping address to Glowforge when you get the email asking for the address to ship to. Or set up a PO box here. (I’m not sure how it would work, but it might be something you could do proactively.)

6 Likes

I have family in Washington, I think I could have it sent there. I’ve already paid international shipping, would sending to Washington change the shipping price?
I’ve just realized Washington is a funny word.
Thanks for the reply.

7 Likes

I think you will be able to work that out when they send the email. (They’ll probably refund it if there is a significant difference and you decide not to have it shipped internationally, but that is something you would need to ask when it happens. Doubt they’ve worked out all of those details yet.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ahh, yes. That makes sense. My brain hasn’t made it to that conclusion just yet. Thanks for the leg up.

1 Like

When my friends ask “When are you getting your Glowforge thingy?” I always say “Its slated to ship in December, and I stay sane by assuming that means 12/31/16 at 11:59pm”

10 Likes

Hi Fellow Canadian!

Yes - it does make a big difference if you ship Washington vs. Somewhere in Canada.

I’m having mine ship to Washington as well and picking up from there. I’m doing my own import paperwork and paying duty at the border.

Check these post Canadians - Shipping question

Lots of good info!

6 Likes

Merci! This is exactly what I’m thinking about!

Does anyone know which shipping company glowforge will b using?

1 Like

When your unit is ready for delivery, we will confirm your shipping location. If you change countries, we’ll refund (or charge) the difference. We haven’t announced which shipper we will use yet.

6 Likes

Thanks for that bit of info Dan. Still burning that midnight oil, eh?

May I make a suggestion/request? Please don’t use UPS for the Canuck shipments if at all possible. They’re brokerage fees are scales of magnitude higher than the competition. Your customers north of the border will thank you.

A kind forum user linked me to the Canadian thread. Really good stuff in there, lots of answers and even more questions. Trying to wrap my head around it is a bit of logic puzzle, I look forward to getting a little time to think it out.

Get some rest there buds.

4 Likes

I will pass that recommendation along to the operations team! Thanks. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

For international shipping, you’d be hard pressed to find something better than DHL. I used to work for an engineering firm which shipped sensitive seismological equipment. They used DHL consistently, and barely had any issues. There was one occasion (over the course of 10 years or so) where an instrument was damaged in shipping, and their customer service was fantastic: although it was an accident that it was damaged, they refunded the cost of the entire instrument, shipping, and gave the company future shipping credit.

So, DHL would be my humble recommendation.

5 Likes

To add to that, USPS seems to be the easiest for me as a Canadian that gets stuff through the mail quite frequently. They hand over to Canada Post. The tracking still works and (in the case of small stuff) it just gets put in my community mailbox.

Lucky guys! Tracking never works coming the other way… =\

65 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes left to ship initial shipments! Seems like forever!
But not as bad as my 155 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes!

I wonder if they have a big red 7-segment LED clock at GF HQ with that countdown on it… When I imagine GF HQ, it’s there.

7 Likes

As far as I understand as soon as a USPS tracking number is generated with a destination in Canada it also generates on on the Canada Post side. Must not be set up that way on the Canada Post side!

1 Like

I commiserate with you. I was very late to this party. I will consider my self very lucky if I get my GF 155 days from now. :cry: - Rich

5 Likes

Do you think Tom Hanks may have gotten off the island quicker if a GF was in one of the boxes on “Castaway” ???

8 Likes

I think it would have been a better friend than Wilson. :slight_smile: - Rich

4 Likes

Nah. How would he connect to the cloud? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Both Geordi and Scotty failed to learn from the PERT estimation method of the “past”. :wink:

2 Likes