Latest projects and current “State of the World”

Alas it was two weeks ago and in project terms that’s a lifetime so I can’t quote my sources off hand. And I haven’t access to my computer ATM. But search powder inlay online. In summary it it truly as simple as … engrave, add powder, add super thin superglue, try not to breath, wait five minutes, sand. I had to repeat a few times to fill gaps. Especially in the copper. But go for it. It’s quite pleasantly fun. Wear a respirator while sanding of course! I wet sanded as well to help with dust.

2 Likes

Amazing work! Thanks for inspiring us all! Any chance you could post a link to the Thingiverse project you based your lamp on? My wife loves your lamp shades, I need to up my game! (Or if you want to post your version of the file someplace I’m sure no one would complain! :slight_smile: )

Thanks! There are a highlight of our kitchen. Literally. Note: photo credit on the lights, Ryan Arana. I should have included that in my original post sorry Ryan.

1 Like

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2089166 You will need to modify to your own material tolerances of course. I also modified the leaf shapes slightly but that’s a personal choice. Good luck and have fun!!!

7 Likes

Stellar! Love the box!

1 Like

If you are referring to the inlay for the world map that is a completely different concept. Let me know if that’s what you meant. Hint: it’s veneer ( yup, imma cheater).

Your projects are all breathtakingly beautiful! I’m so loving that finger jointed box—now that’s a finger joint I can like!

Wow! Prolific much?! Amazing work. Loving those light shades. How long did they take?

Thanks! Each shade was three PG boards of wood and about 2 20x12” portions of acrylic (if I recall correctly) all just straightforward cuts so the whole process was pretty quick. I’d say less than two hours of work. Assembly took longer but I literally assembled them in place due to odd restrictions of my circumstances so that added to the process greatly.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the link!

Amazing - were they a project for home or did you sell them?

Wow. That is quite a gush of beauty. Amazing work. I do like how the very fine finger joints become part of the design like that. Nice technique. Super amazing work.

1 Like

WOW! It is fun to see an artist’s work.

Thanks! All just home projects. I discovered if I sell things “ projects” become “work”. Lol. I’m far too busy (with projects) to work :grin:

2 Likes

Gosh I know that feeling at the moment. I’m away with work a lot during the week so I’m trying to kick myself into doing the design work during the week and then do the cutting and assembly at the weekend.

Like everyone else who’s considering forge work though I’m struggling to figure out how to price stuff. My mind boggles when I saw those shades and was trying to do the costs in my head hehe

I discovered that if I don"t sell things I am drowning in all my “things” :smile:

7 Likes

‘Tis the truth isn’t it! Hahaha. Fortunately I just moved so I did a cleansing and can start anew. Plus I send stuff away with unsuspecting visitors and friends! Happy to make, happy to gift. Just as long as it remains enjoyable!!
Truth also is I “borrow” or buy lots of design ideas and I absolutely cannot bring myself to sell anything I don’t outright own All rights to. The box for instance, I have no idea where I got that Cthulhu file therefore I will not profit from it unless I can locate the original designer and get explicit consent. And that is an awful lot of work and trouble for one box. I do wish I could support my GF addiction with itself but I do that in other more productive (for me) ways so it works out.

I’m curious though! How many of us are able to use our glowforges to actually make a functioning art profit? Art and craft work seems so under appreciated these days. Is anyone able to get reasonable prices for art style items? I certainly hope those who wish to can and do!! This machine is amazing and this group of people no less so. I’m thrilled to be a part of it all!

6 Likes

Yes I doubt M.P Lovecraft will show up at your door looking for a cut, so you have no problem with Cthulhu only that you got the whole thing somewhere. you could look at a hundred of them and then do your own Inspired by the source but not the actual source, even if you are looking at the source on your computer.you will find ways you wold prefer it was.

I really like that pineapple lamp, but when I do t it will be more dragon-fruit, or perhaps Triffid than pineapple, and actually look different though some similar inner structure, particularly as I had some thoughts along those lines before seeing it

1 Like

Yes. I love the dragon fruit thought. As a standing lamp with multiple flowers perhaps! Post images for us when you get to it. I would love to see what you come up with. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It is a long list so it may be a while. ahead on that list is the Seattle tower / restaurant as a table with Ideas of ho to have it over 19 inches tall

1 Like