Layered mandala

Inspired by the myriad amazing layered mandalas online, I had a go this afternoon converting one of my hand drawn mandalas into a 3D layered counterpart. Made from six layers of 1.5mm birch ply, 11"/27cm in diameter.

I’m really pleased with the result, and fancy the challenge of something even more complex and multi-layered.

62 Likes

WOW first WOW that this was hand drawn 2nd WOW this cut out absolutely beautifully! Stunning in so many ways!!!

6 Likes

Beautiful!

5 Likes

That came out excellent!

4 Likes

Love it! I’m currently trying to do one, but it’s not cooperating at all! :smile:

5 Likes

Awesome. I’ve been trying but I can’t simply think on 6 levels. I can imagine what I want on multiple levels when designing but these things just blow my mind.

4 Likes

That is really nice :heart_eyes: I see many pieces that are unconnected and look funny if just a tiny bit off of their designed location. How are you making certain that every piece goes to where it is supposed to go?

3 Likes

Beautiful! I love how unique your mandala design is.

4 Likes

Oh gosh, that came out great! And your photography is pretty amazing as well. That last one I thought was a drawing it was so perfect.

4 Likes

I did it all by eye. Registration marks might have made it easier, but making it imperfect makes it mine :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That is even more impressive!

3 Likes

Extraordinary! What a great design and a wonderful eye!

3 Likes

Mounted up and framed. Good old Ikea :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Really beautiful piece,going to have a go at something like that but use varying wood types for the layers.

Thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

There is probably a life lesson in here, which I’m sure I’ll learn right after I fix… this… crooked… thing! :wink:

7 Likes

Wow, that really came out nice! It never would have occurred to me to do one all the same color, but it’s lovely!

7 Likes

Such a beautiful design!

3 Likes

Lovely

1 Like