Layered Mandala 2

Buoyed by the success of my first layered mandala, I’ve spent the last few hours making my next one. Again, based on a hand drawn version, then layered in Illustrator before cutting in 2mm greyboard and painting white before sticking together. There’s 9 layers on this one, and a fair bit of head scratching! I’m going to mount it in a large white frame.

48 Likes

Even more impressive than the first one! I really like it.

If you think about it post a photo of the mounted version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are really good at this! I like the monotonic color scheme. It allows one to focus on the design. And the hand drawn feel is so cool.

2 Likes

Mesmerizing.

3 Likes

I had a go with gold/black but didn’t like it as much.

3 Likes

I thought about it :slight_smile:

I quite like the off-white of the mandala and the mount with the white of the paper background.

21 Likes

That took it from exquisite to stunning!

2 Likes

IKEA ribba for the win. A shame they make them less strong than they used to.

True, and it’s a shame they’ve ditched the glass in favour of the perspex :frowning:

I don’t even think that it is Perspex, I think it’s some sort of poly carbonate but not acrylic. I wouldn’t laser it anyway.

1 Like

It’s just amazing how magnetic these designs are to me. It really implements the whole concepts of mandalas and focusing the mind. It also requires that the creator have mastered what the mandala provokes in the first place. And you have done it in four fold with added dimensions and hand drawn work in addition to just the basic design and then the execution on a different medium.

3 Likes

Just a gorgeous design and implementation!

2 Likes

Very cool designe, where do you find your inspiration to create these? Ive always wanted to make one but lack that artistic flare.

2 Likes

I love the genre, and there’s loads of how-tos around on the internet. It’s just a matter of trial and error - some work, and some don’t.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Another gorgeous piece! I never get tired of looking at those intricate GF cuts.

I love mandalas, but haven’t managed to draw any that I like as much as I do other people’s. I’m not giving up, though, one of these days I’ll get the hang of it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Really well done! I agree with others about liking the white paint. Wood is beautiful but this makes it look more sophisticated. Love the way you framed it, too.

2 Likes