Layered Paper frame! ( Space themed )

Hi Guys,

Since I bought the :glowforge: I always wanted to create something like that!

I’m thrilled with the result and already thinking on the second theme already!

So, here is a 230mm x 230mm IKEA Deep Frame.

Any comments are welcome!

Specially a theme suggestion for the next one! :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Happy Forging!

102 Likes

I love those frames, especially for the price! There isn’t an Ikea within a couple thousand miles of me, so I don’t have access to them anymore, but I loved them when I did!

Fantastic use, and my suggestion for another theme would be a submarine underwater :grin:

4 Likes

Sadly these frames (the Ribba) have been getting cheaper and cheaper because they are degrading them. They don’t use glass anymore (they use a cheap plastic), and the backings are thin and warp easily.

I keep hoping the price will go back up and they’ll bring back the real glass, but I doubt it is gonna happen.

2 Likes

that is really cool.

2 Likes

This one I was lucky then! It’s glass ! The back of it I don’t mind warping as it helpw to keep them connected in this occasion! :blush:

Maybe it’s only the larger sizes that use plastic (50cmx50cm), but that’s the size I need. Whomp.

2 Likes

Love it, so cute! Space themes are my favorite.

2 Likes

this is great. well designed, great color choices, well executed. bravo.

2 Likes

Seriously. I was so disappointed when I discovered this a few years ago. I would also rather pay the few extra dollars for the heftier product.

1 Like

Super cute! I like the underwater idea for the next one as well.

What did you use the keep the layers separated? It adds a really great dimension.

2 Likes

Between Each layer I’ve added a 3mm stick of wood! around the frame!
Works really well… I’ve seen people using double sided tape (like the EVA Double sided one).

5 Likes

I really love them. It makes me a bit jealous because I sometimes feel like I don’t have a creative bone in my body.

6 Likes

Just make sure you aren’t confusing creativity with artistic ability – I have very little artistic ability (drawing, painting, basically generating anything from scratch), but can do a lot with adapting other people’s art. If you like a project, use it as an inspiration point! A lot of amazing stuff is from people iterating on other people’s ideas.

If I were to do a similar piece, I’d almost certainly find existing files to adapt with a shuttle and alien instead of trying to make my own even though they are pretty simple shapes. Basically, don’t feel limited by lack of ability to generate an entire design – the internet is full of options to help you out.

6 Likes

I think it’s adorable!

3 Likes

First, a forest scene.
Second, the ‘perfect workshop’ scene.
Third, a map scene where you live

3 Likes

If they’re gonna hang together, you could continue that ship on it’s journey :slight_smile: Pass the rings of Jupiter, escape a black hole!

4 Likes

Super Cool! Love it :star_struck:
For the foreground, I might have worked up more rocket exhaust-blast layers to help give a bit more depth, but it stands very well just as it is. :sunglasses: Nice work!

3 Likes

Excellent piece! Love it!

2 Likes

Just spend some time in Pinterest and you will get inspired to do something! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These are on my list! thanks!

1 Like