Layered pieces with resin

Trying to learn how to use resin on the layered pieces.

58 Likes

Very pretty! I like the pop of color!

9 Likes

Very nice!! That seahorse is amazing!

9 Likes

Wow, the second turtle is my favorite. The color really makes the different woods stand out nicely. Great job!

9 Likes

Beautiful!

What kind of resin are you using - and are you happy with it?

5 Likes

Thank you! I just grabbed some smartart resin off Amazon. Nothing fancy but I like how easy it is to mix (with a battery powered mixer).

8 Likes

I love the seahorse and the second turtle.

4 Likes

Wow just wow!!!

3 Likes

These are all gorgeous! My favorite part is the octopus within the seahorse.

Is there any chance you’d be willing to write up a description of your process for designing and making these? What tools do you use for the creative process? Are there particular constraints that must be followed for a good design? Are there guidelines for what goes into what layer (beyond the aesthetic)? Am I correct in assuming there are no overhanging layers? What are some of the mistakes you’ve made? I assume the process is more than “shove a bunch of clipart together into layers”. I’d love to know more about your design process, if you’re willing to share.

Thanks!

5 Likes

What a great effect you are getting from the resin! I love the visual texture it provides, making the scene look underwater-and-otherworldly.

4 Likes

Appears you have aced the resin application. Just enough color to make them pop. Love them all.
The colored turtle was a bit distracting, though. Mostly noticeable because an unpainted one is immediately below it?
Regardless, great work. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I’m going to make that seahorse 46" tall on the next one.

1 Like

I bought these designs off etsy. I have started to make my own designs but these are easy to find. There are overhanging layers that a cleaning person can snag with a feather duster (lesson learned). Basically cut the designs, stain, spray a sealant on the layers then glue and clamp each layer. Trial and error.

2 Likes

I wonder if a sheet of clear acrylic would solve that? That or dust it with a blast of air.

2 Likes

Air can all the way! A cover takes away from the layering in my opinion.

1 Like

Great job! Nice color work!

4 Likes

@armyclark designed the seahorse

3 Likes

This looks very cool. I love working with resin. Started with it before I started with the Glowforge. Try adding a little white in the blue for sea foam etc. I would also try and do a flood coat completely over one. I love how resin makes everything looks so beautiful and it would have so much depth with the various wood layers inside. Start with a small one and give it a try.

2 Likes

Pieces are absolutely gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Thank you !