Layered Shadow Box - Was a Fun Way to Learn!

I had drawn this picture a few years ago, intending to do some pyrogrpahy in this discarded wooden toy box that I snagged. Then my GF showed up and I decided this was a great way to learn how to use it. I’m so glad I did because I love how it turned out!
I used a variety of materials, mostly PG, including red and black acrylic, draftboard, hardwood walnut and cherry. There is also some baltic birch here and there. Used a lot of scraps building up hidden layers!
The whole thing is pretty personal in meaning to me, though nothing profound. I spent 6 years in Japan, but also spent a childhood watching Godzilla movies on Saturday afternoons (pre-VCR/DVD/remote control). Going to sumo tournaments was some of the most fun I had in Japan or anywhere else. The castle is Matsumoto, located in the mountains in Nagano. If I was to move back to Japan, I would want to go there. Very fond memories of visiting and camping near there. I changed up the mountain from Fuji to Rainier and added a layer of evergreens to represent my current home. Nature and seasonal change are something I love and try not to take for granted. Anywhoo, here are some more pix and the original drawing.

50 Likes

Love old Godzilla movies! Great shadow box! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

This is an awesome project - it brings such life to your drawing!

2 Likes

Beautiful box. Also a Godzilla fan!

2 Likes

This came out great! Nice layering.

2 Likes

That is fanfkntastic! Very cool. And I say you’ve learned well.

2 Likes

Looks like you learned well.

2 Likes

Really cool, and glad you what you used for a learning /training project came out so well and has so much value to you! Great story & I’m hooked on Sumo as well (and many other programs on NHK news–if ever I can afford international travel again, I would visit Japan for sure!).

And welcome to another Puget Sounder! :wave: (guessing your in this area since the profile of Rainier seems to be what we get from Seattle & vincinity). If you were Everett & north, it’d be Mt Baker :wink:

1 Like

You are correct! I live near and teach in Seattle.
One of my personal mottos is “always greet the mountain” because I never want to take something so beautiful for granted. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a great motto–it’s so easy to forget to look, but I always try to (mntns will vary pending my location & angle) and always makes me smile. (And the sunsets the last few weeks–jaw dropping gorgeous!) I grew up in Kent, after many years in NM, IL & OR, got back & lived in N Sea for 15 years, and few years ago moved to Bremerton. Living elsewhere made me realize how amazing this area is, even though I did appreciate what different areas had (that was tougher in central IL :wink:) !

2 Likes

Love it! Both of my girls are great artists so I’m hoping to make a shadowbox out of some of their art one day.

2 Likes

You must love seeing your drawing come to life! Amazing job.

1 Like

What a great project! I love the way you have the branches extending into the space below.

1 Like

Adding the cherry branches extending down took some figuring because there was such a small surface area to glue, and I didn’t want to drill into the box.
GlowForge to the rescue! A couple of small wedge shapes cut .75" long, .25" deep, and .125" wide, painted black and glued in the right spot gave me a little platform to glue the small branches into. Worked like a charm.

1 Like

What an incredibly creative piece! Thanks for sharing it with us.

1 Like

Outstanding, what beautiful work!

1 Like

Great project. I love the way it turned out!

1 Like