Layered stencils

If you are a card maker, you know the current hot items are sets of layering stencils. They allow you to color a sometimes complicated image very quickly. Of course I decided to try my hand at this, and leaned on my Creative Fabrica subscription as an art source. Looking for mostly floral images, I found many that would work well (solid blocks of color that could be easily separated into individual stencils). Here’s the result of two of them; each set uses 4 stencils to layer the colors:

Sources: https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/3-seamless-floral-patterns/ And https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/digital-paper-pack-spring-floral/

I think it would be very cool (although very time consuming) to make custom wrapping paper with these stencils.

For stencil material I just used some spare transparency sheets I had laying around. They are made of polyester and cut nicely.

49 Likes

Lovely

6 Likes

Do you use a sponge to apply the color?

5 Likes

Something like that. It’s an ink blending tool with a half-dome sponge on the end, but you can easily use a cheap cosmetic sponge instead.

10 Likes

Wow, those look so good! I’m inspired to give it a try.

5 Likes

Those are beautiful! I never would have thought of that, even though I made a stencil for our farm logo when I painted our deck. That layering effect is gorgeous, and I really like the florals you chose!

10 Likes

These are amazing!!

I watched a cardmaking series last week, and one person used stencils. I had put it on my list to see what I could come up with.

You just nudged that line of thought even further! So glad you posted!

8 Likes

this turned out so lovely. I have several ‘very expensive’ layered stencils…I’ll have to try some of my own!

7 Likes

I am inspired. I made a jig to help with alignment.

I used some proofgrade veneer for the brackets.

I just ordered some mylar to make a stencil.

11 Likes

Yahoo! Inspiring others is my favorite thing.

4 Likes

Not bad for my first attempt. I got the mylar, but did not get the brush or good ink. I had some cheap ones I used for a rubber stamp experiment.

I used only three colors and I did not thicken some of the lines. Part of my stencil fell out.

I used the whole stamp pad on the stencil.

4 Likes

Wow, came out great! Looks like the stencil holder did a great job too.

2 Likes

You will love this video.

5 Likes

Those are fantastic! I need to create some tiny stencils to use with polymer clay. I make miniature clay food and some of the decorating ideas I have require the use of stencils.

Don’t you just love Creative Fabrica. When they ran a yearly subscription special, I converted my monthly membership to yearly. Such a wonderful place for all kinds of images. No, I’m not affiliated with them.

4 Likes

I do not have time for a new hobby. I do not have time for a new hobby. I do not have time for a new hobby. I do not have time for a new hobby. I do not have time for a new hobby.

sigh

11 Likes

But someday you will have time for a new hobby. :grin:

4 Likes

This is cool what settings did you use?

Settings are here:

4 Likes