7 mil Mylar stencil cut settings

I thought i had posted these settings in the past but couldn’t find them, so here they are:

speed 300
power 25
1 pass
Use set focus. If you can’t for some reason, use material height 0.07

21 Likes

Just curious, how much curling do you get? I cut some 10 mil mylar and it no longer lays flat. It’s not potato chip bad, but it just lifts in places and makes it difficult to get a clear register.

3 Likes

When I did 10 mil previously, I laid it on a piece of copy paper. Speed 300, Power 25. I didn’t have any curling, but perhaps the material varies.

5 Likes

Thanks! I have a stack of 7 mil that I’ve been wanting to cut into stencils. Does it fly around?

2 Likes

I got my stencil material from @smcgathyfay about five years ago. She is a professional airbrush artist and used the material to make airbrush stencils. The particular material she sent me had a treatment that made it better for laser cutting but I don’t remember in what way. It does not curl and it cuts very cleanly without pilled up edges. Unfortunately she hasn’t been seen on the forum for years, so I don’t know what I’ll do when I run out of it.

8 Likes

I stick it down to the crumb tray with very tiny neodymium magnets, with a piece of card stock behind it to improve visibility and reduce flashback. I rarely see flying bits with the 7 mil, and never with the 10 mil.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I have a bunch to cut. Might need to use 10 mil though, want them to last for tracing.

5 Likes

Click on her name and she has an ETSY store, from there you can contact her. :blush:

4 Likes

Here’s me… crawling out of the dark… lol
So sorry I’ve been absent. Life just went in opposite directions.
I still have stencil materials if anyone needs them.
info@prolazercutz.com

13 Likes

Wow! Great to see you again! There are still a few of us old-timers on here that will remember you. Hope you’ll be sticking around…you’ve been gone a long time. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome back!

4 Likes

Wow… Haven’t seen you around in years. Hope all is well with you and your son.

6 Likes

It’s great to hear from you again @smcgathyfay! I’m glad to hear that you are still supplying stencil material—I will certainly refer interested folks to you, as that blue stuff you sent me is the best. Seems to me you said it was specially treated to laser cut better. I still have a bit of it left, but I’ve kind of been hoarding it. :smile:

5 Likes

Nice to know you’re still around!

3 Likes

I still lurk once and awhile…lol

6 Likes