Lazy Armed Susan aka Tentacle Flower

Sorry for the not so great photos. No good light today.

18 inch diameter lazy susan.

Used too much inlay powder on this one. It took five hours of power sanding and some very tired arms to complete. Pretty happy with the results though.

49 Likes

Wow, great details!

2 Likes

That’s beautiful!!

1 Like

that is SO gorgeous - id pay dearly to have one lol

1 Like

Looks so professional. And it’s kind of subtle but then…

2 Likes

Beautiful. Your tired arms deserve a rest.

1 Like

That is so amazing!

1 Like

Gorgeous! :grinning:

1 Like

An absolute work of art! I would hesitate to spill ketchup on that–I’d rather hang it on the wall.

3 Likes

Holy Friggin’ Amazing! :octopus:

Do you mind sharing what the different woods are? Is it colored wood veneer?

Sure! The wood is 1/8 inch hardwood over a base with veneer edging. The tentacles are padauk, the flower is maple, wenge, and tigerwood, and the background is walnut. The Inlay is a mix of materials but mostly mother of pearl, brass, lapis, and iron.

Annnnd… I am now officially Out Of Wood (except of course the scraps bins and bins and bins)

2 Likes

Thanks so much, it’s really great stuff. I couldn’t tell what the yellow/greenish ring was and now it makes sense. Is it brass powder that you mix up ? I ask becasue it looks amazing here and I have a bag of it laying around the house somewhere. I want to go dig it out now!

yup! Brass Powder
Engrave deepish, fill with powder, add thin cyanoacrylate (don’t breath or lean your eyes over it!!) Sand forever & you’re good to go! A fun but smelly process.

2 Likes

It’s so lovely. It’s the prettiest Lazy Susan I have ever seen.

1 Like

Gorgeous!