Leaf Inlay Box

The box is Maple and Cherry. The bottom was carved on CNC and the lid was done on the Glowforge. The lid is layers of maple and cherry with inlaid leaves of Yellowheart, Paduck, Cherry, Purpleheart and Walnut. The liner is old blue jeans.

The leftover leaves are just for giggles. Special thanks to @evansd2 for walking me through inlays once or twice. Not at his level yet, but pretty pleased with this one.

51 Likes

The inlays are lovely.

2 Likes

Inlays are so satisfying! Turned out great!

2 Likes

This is adorable!!

1 Like

Nice to see you branching out.

4 Likes

Very nice! And I love the blue-jean liner; that is a great idea!

1 Like

Very nice selection of wood for your box and leaves. Looks great. :blush:

1 Like

The construction of the box has me wondering - no trace of joints in the pics…? :no_mouth: :+1:
I find the inlays I do somehow satisfying almost beyond anything else, just for the precision of the fit. Reverse the cut on the inlay and tap it in with a mallet - Tight. No glue needed. Nice work.

2 Likes

Nice work! Good mix of machines!

1 Like

Stunning!

1 Like

I see what you did there…

One of the big benefits of CNC over laser is that I can just directly mill 2 inch thick wood. A pocket cut removes the center and then you just mill the outline of the box. It makes it look like the wood just grew that way. :slight_smile:

The rings around the sides was from the fact that my original board wasn’t thick enough for a good box, so I glued up maple and cherry on top to bring the thickness up. It’s a nice effect when you don’t have 2 inch lumber.

5 Likes

Ohhhh, simply gorgeous! I think the added touch of the loose leaves inside adds so much. I want to play with them!

4 Likes

Wonderful box, I love all the wood used for the leaves.

Would love to have a CNC… but have maxed out space.

1 Like

Yeah. You also have to deal with dust collection too. They are a lot of fun though.

3 Likes

True! I got a shaper origin for Xmas, now that we are warming up, I’m gonna go play with it. Only 2D carving but has potential for a lot of things.

1 Like

I would love to have a CNC too, in fact I ended up with the Glowforge after looking into the X-carve. But in addition to the space requirements (I didn’t look hard enough to know about dust collection), I realized quickly that I am not mechanically inclined enough to even be able to assemble it, much less work with it. Seems you have to build them yourself, and I got lost in jargon that was incomprehensible, to me anyway. It’s a shame the Carvey died, I was really thinking hard about that one, as it is a plug and play CNC. But I didn’t go with that one because it was expensive, which is why they aren’t selling them anymore (or weren’t last time I bothered to look).

3 Likes