Leather cord for luggage tags

Hi. I am wanting to make some wooden luggage tags. Does anybody know who works with leather, what thickness leather cord would work well for a tag so to be strong enough to not get ripped off. Thanks for any advice.
Mike

Generally luggage tags are done with a flat piece of leather:

That would be the same thickness as the leather you use for the tag as well.

If you really want something round I’d look for “bolo cord”, it’s a braided leather cord so it’s stronger than just a thin strip - but generally not stronger than a piece like in the photo above.

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply! For the strap type, do you know where to get them? Thank you again!

1 Like

Also, I am planning on using wood for the tags. I’ve not used leather yet but hope to at some point.

1 Like

There is always this :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ah! I understand. Doing a search for 1/2" or 13mm latigo should get you what you need. For example:

If you have any sort of leather store near you they often sell scrap for cheap, but you only need like 1/2" x 6" you can get a lot of straps out of “scrap”. 1/2" center bar buckles are what you need to close your straps.

The tool @rbtdanforth linked to is great for cutting cord out of scraps too. Cutting skinny cords and then braiding them makes a nice strap too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wood at tag thickness will break before leather :smiley:. Any veg tan in the 4-5 oz or thicker would work fine. Cutting your own straps from a sheet will always be more cost effective than pre cut straps. An exacto knife or rotary cutter and metal straitedge are all you need to do so. If you want to get fancy you could buy a strap cutter but it’s overkill for luggage tags since they are short.

1 Like

Plus one to @rbtdanforth 's recommendation - I cut my own, frequently from bits in the scrap bin. A 4-5 inch circle of leather turns quickly into several feet of cord. Took me a few times to get the hang of it but once you do, it’s super handy tool. (Tutorial from Springfield Leather below.)

6 Likes

I haven’t used wood for luggage tags, but have made many with leather, and have done the flat strap w/ buckle, but also made “loop” using 1/2" wide piece and cutting out the center (using slot punch either end, and then cutting to join the slots)–key is rounded end to prevent tearing/ripping. I use 5-6oz cowhides I use for guitar straps, and they are strong enough a 3/16 or so wide section is good for strong loop for normal wear & tear… but the buckled strap looks better–but adds more time/complexity to the making of it!

And I have A LOT of pieces if you want any to test it out, or other scrap if you want to try something–let me know!

3 Likes

That’s a good thing. You don’t want what it’s attached to be the weak link. Much better if the tag breaks off when caught on something than the luggage handle.

2 Likes

I like it!

3 Likes

Thank you! I have had mine for so long it might be older than you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in reply. Life got hectic. Thank you all very much.

That is extremely kind of you!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.