Leather engraving advice would be a life saver...been gone a long while

Haven’t used my gf for over a year due to illness. Slow start with a project I’ve done many times before (new GFUI isnt making things any easier).

Could someone please suggest settings to engrave a veg tanned leather journal cover. I’m doing this for a friend and do not have anything to practice with. I have never worked with leather.

Different friend needs acacia wood cutting board engraved and I have the same problem… nothing to practice with and i have never done this before. My year off and the new GFUI isn’t making anything easier so if anyone is willing to make a suggestion for either of these issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincere Thanks!

2 Likes

The automatic proofgrade settings for both would be a good place to start. Choose a leather from the offerings and try the engrave settings. Same for the cutting board. choose a wood from the list, and if it isn’t deep/dark enough for you, as long as the material hasn’t moved you can run it again.

This is why you save scraps! :+1:

10 Likes

Thanks. I have zero knowledge about leather and am trying to help a friend whose secret santa gift, a custom leather journal with initials has not arrived. I don’t have any leather scraps because I never worked with leather before. But as far as wood and acrylic are concerned, I have enough scraps to start a store, lol.

2 Likes

The other day I had some random Amazon junk leather, and the Proofgrade SD engrave setting looked great. It made a very dark mark, but the leather was light colored so there was adequate contrast.

3 Likes

Leather is literally my most common material - and yeah, use the PG settings. If you’re only engraving, use the thin PG leather - and then use Set Focus to get the depth correct.
If you’re cutting, expect to run a 2nd cut line after the first.

Masking just before you run your engrave, and then pull it off shortly thereafter. If masking isn’t an option, baby wipes do a good job cleaning it off.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. Happy Holidays!

1 Like

Amen to that!

1 Like

It sure is nice to test on the actual material. :sunglasses:

Another suggestion, not with regard to specific settings, but with regard to just getting comfortable with lining everything up, etc, you can practice with cardboard, chipboard, cardstock or even paper. (Make sure to use settings that will be safe of course!)

2 Likes