Leather Gameboard for Tablero da Gucci

My friends and I are getting together for a camping trip to join ~10,000 of our closest friends next month and I decided to make up a game board personalized to our group for a game called Tablero da Gucci

The board is leather, scored, and the three pieces are sewn together with waxed thread. The shark is painted with acrylic paints, and the swords are Rub N’ Buff (have I mentioned recently how much I love that stuff!)

Interestingly enough the paint on the tiger is bright orange, but I did a light enough covering that it came out this beautiful almost bronze:

To store the board when not in use it can be folded up, and rolled into a flap, and because I didn’t want a useless flap, I used Rub N’ Buff (through masking) to add the basic rules of the game to it.

(Sasha approved)

The neck of the bottle goes through a slit toward the bottom to stay closed:

*and yes, a corner is cut off - I got lazy and didn’t verify my cut before I let it rip…I decided it looks like it went through a bar fight years before :slight_smile:

37 Likes

Looks great!

I love the Rub N’ Buff stenciling.

11 Likes

Looks fun to play. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

It’s a fun game whether or not your grog is alcoholic - but if one is actually using alcohol a winning streak comes with it’s own self-perpetuating handicap :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

I really like the stitching. It looks simple on one side but has a really cool detail on the other.

12 Likes

Did you apply a protective coating to protect your hard work? If not slap an acrylic sheen on that bad boy!

8 Likes

Super cool

7 Likes

That is awesome!

8 Likes

There are so many things about this project that I admire. To name only one, the colors of the various elements and how well they work together. I really must get some Rub N’ Buff. I like that your feline inspector also seems to approve after a very close look.

8 Likes

This project is great. You created such a beautiful vintage looking piece of leather.

5 Likes

Wow. This is spectacular!

4 Likes

Wonderful!! Great work!

4 Likes

Thanks all :slight_smile:

That cool detail helps keep the stitches on the top side flat since it pulls them the opposite way the leather is pulling it :slight_smile:

I haven’t. I was trying to decide what to do since I don’t want to make it stiff, nor shiny. Got any specific suggestions?

Yes! I picked some up after someone on here waxed poetic, and then didn’t use it for probably 2 years. It goes on like paint, or shoe polish (depending on application tool) and then it dries to permanence without losing any of the luster. Plus it works on wood, leather, fabric, …anything that wax can get a grip on really :slight_smile: 100% recommend.

That was a goal. I do have to appreciate that the leather (Apollo veg tan from Tandy - no longer available :frowning: ) already came looking battered.

8 Likes

Wow, so artistic! It has tons of character. I hope you and your 10000 friends have fun!

5 Likes

I wonder if this would work well?

https://www.amazon.com/Angelus-Brand-Acrylic-Leather-Finisher/dp/B00B5W4LX4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3JCSQRWJIPWV4&keywords=matte+leather+sealant&qid=1690659533&sprefix=matte+leather+sealan%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-5

7 Likes

@deirdrebeth

I highly recommend this remnant box from Springfieldleather.com — I have 2 of them.

Visit their homepage and in the search box put in remnants. There are so many choices.

2 Likes

I have so much leather! I’ll keep it in mind though.

3 Likes