Leather Grimoire

How do you condition the leather

2 Likes

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MUWUB0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just rub some on a paper towel then rub it in the leather.

4 Likes

What was your settings used to do this? I have a similar project and looking for a starting point.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I’d probably just start with the ProofGrade leather settings. However, if you go over to the Beyond the Manual section and search on “leather settings” you’ll likely find other settings folks have used.

Beyond the Manual is the only place we’re allowed to discuss settings for non-PG materials–in some ways, it’s an annoying rule, but it DOES make settings easier to locate when you need a starting place. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@geek2nurse is correct! I used proofgrade medium leather and the proofgrade settings for engrave/cut.

2 Likes

Still gotta get around to something like this.

#necrogame

3 Likes

WOW. Just. WOW. Amazed by this!

2 Likes

This is amazing beautiful work. I just ordered the conditioner thank you. I am working on making basic straight bracelets that I engrave and paint with Angelus leather paints. love there choices of color than just what dyes can do for the proofgrade leather. My question is do you recommend I condition the back of the bracelet after I have finished cutting and engraving or do you think it is best before I engrave and paint. Thank you for any help you can give. New to working with leather. thank you again and your work is beautiful.

2 Likes

I like this design, I would like to try it for my autistic kid’s artwork. Do I just started using a glow forge do you have to make circles for each stitch hole in illustrator for the forge to cut them?
I made a bible cover like this and when I put the bible in it was so tight it ripped the bible. How did you prevent this?

1 Like

Thank you for the compliments! I have always conditioned the leather after I cut/engraved it and dyed it (although I’m no leather expert). For the back of the leather I think traditionally you would add a thin layer of pigskin or fabric glued to the back and then burnish the edges together so no raw leather is touching your skin. I haven’t ever done this as I’m too lazy but it would really elevate a project to the next level!

2 Likes

For my first journal I created the holes in illustrator. For subsequent journal covers I used a leather punch to make the holes. This was because I was hoping my heavy duty sewing machine with a leather needle could sew through it on it’s own and it didnt work out. I would have gone back to the hole cutting method on the glowforge if I knew this. Hand sewing with saddle stitch takes so long which is why I’ve only made two.

You can prevent your design by being too tight for the bible by adding some extra leather for around the sides of the flap and making sure you have accounted for the size of the spine in illustrator. I will put my pattern up on Etsy tonight and post a link here for anyone who is interested in how I set up my pattern.

1 Like

Hi everyone, because of the interest in this project I have put my Glowforge design files along with detailed .pdf instructions & materials needed up on my Etsy!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/884818554/leather-grimoire-spellbook-journal-cover

2 Likes