Leather Grimoire

Practicing my prop making skills with this leather journal commissioned for my sister’s friend. The creative brief was that she wanted a magic book looking grimoire with symbols from shows she likes (shadowhunters, harry potter, wine, creativity), the inside has her initials. Made the design and pattern in Adobe illustrator starting with some stock images I’ve purchased in the past, then used my glowforge to engrave and cut the pieces out of proofgrade medium weight leather. Dyed the leather black, conditioned it, sewed it together by hand & using my sewing machine (Jeans foot 8D and leather needle), and burnished the edges. Lastly added some filigree and swarovski crystals. Honestly if I realized my sewing machine could handle leather I would not have cut all those holes in it and would have saved so much time not hand sewing :p. It’s on its way to Australia now!

engraving on the glowforge (since I’m making it black, could have probably peeled the paper off ahead of time and saved myself hours)

Raster vs. Vector engraving (Raster sucks and looks so bad)

All the pieces ready to be dyed!

everything dyed and conditioned

everything sewed together, filigree painted gold and attached.

playing around with if I should attach a key… too much maybe

Monogram on the inside with a test notebook in place.

Burnished the edges for a nice smooth finish

I post my cosplay and glowforge stuff on my instagram @chelkacraft

107 Likes

Bet she’s gonna like that!

5 Likes

Oh wow, it’s absolutely gorgeous! Every aspect of it is top notch. I especially like the corner embellishments–such a nice touch.

7 Likes

That came out really great! You should be proud!

4 Likes

NICE! where do you get the dye?

4 Likes

Wow! :star_struck:

5 Likes

thanks! The dye is Fiebing’s Leather Dye in black

5 Likes

Thank you! Been wanting to try this.

3 Likes

This is stunning!

4 Likes

It’s incredible! Amazing work :100:

5 Likes

A stunning treasure!!! Perfection … will knock her socks off!

5 Likes

You really hit the nail on the head - this is both visually striking and functional. The black engraving and gold accents really give the journal a pop!

6 Likes

WOW! Amazeballz! Another leather project pushing me to sew… must resist! #lazybugger

2 Likes

Beautiful work! The filigree and crystals are great details & love how you did the closure strap! (I machine sew myself, though I have in industrial machine, so can work with some pretty thick stuff, though at times hand sewing is better…).

2 Likes

Everything they ^^^ all said already!!!

5 Likes

Very nice

2 Likes

Your work is outstanding! This looks absolutely gorgeous. She is going to cherish it always.

4 Likes

Spectacular work.

2 Likes

Wow! Really outstanding project! It looks amazing!

2 Likes

just WOW!!!

2 Likes