Leather Gryffindor Name Tag

This is what I’m talking about!! I love seeing simple and applicable to me projects. I’m dying to get my glowforge asap to try to get some custom wizarding world pins made up for a “cosplay school bag” before I head to the wizarding world! How simple would you say thus project was on a scale of “plug and play” to “having to be a professional glowforge user”?

4 Likes

That is so awesome! And how cool Chandler will have a one-of-a-kind backpack.

About the smelly hands;washing with coffee grounds or vinegar helps with a lot with stinky hands.

5 Likes

Most excellent! Not the burnt hair part though…blech
FYI. Vinegar gets most smells off your hands…

5 Likes

That’s what I use - I just keep it in a spray bottle at the desk. :grin:

7 Likes

I’m sure he loved it! Looks amazing!

I always use salt on my hands after cutting onions. Will have to try the vinegar method.

2 Likes

The :glowforge: portion of it was just as simple with leather as any of the other stuff I’ve made. I’m not sure I can speak to the average plug-&-play user as I’ve got a decade’s worth of experience using Illustrator & Photoshop, but I posted in a previous thread my method for prepping svg files of stuff I find online (like the artwork for this HP tag): My Process for Glowforging Images Found Online.

My knowledge of design aside, this project was pretty easy to throw together. It took me maybe 25 min or so to go from thinking the idea up, finding the imagery, setting up the file, sending to the :glowforge:, cutting & engraving. I had to look up how in the world to sew the leather together online but there’s a ton of fairly straight-forward tutorials on it.

You certainly don’t have to be a “Professional” anything to be able to create something like this on proofgrade material. Had I made this on my own leather you’d be leaning towards the “professional user” more but that’s really only because you’d have to experiment with settings to get it right. What I’ve found though is the more you just suck it up and charge in head first with experimentation the faster and easier this becomes in the future (especially if you document your settings as you go and hang onto those notes for future reference).

9 Likes

This is so wonderful. It really epitomizes the potential for “mass customization” that people have been talking about for so long and has only really just started to be possible.

4 Likes

That’s fantastic! He will have the best backpack in school!

1 Like

Then what do you use to get the vinegar smell off your hands?

3 Likes

Milk. I know, seems odd, but works with a lot of smells. My grandmother taught me that.

1 Like

I tried that and now my hands smell like milk. What do I do??

4 Likes

Just add cookies. :wink:

6 Likes

Stop sniffing your hands? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, my mother always swore that most smells would go away if you rub your hands on a piece of stainless steel. It may be an old wives’ tail, but I dare anyone to call her an old wife. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve had sucsess with stainless as well.

2 Likes

sorry bro, gonna hafta amputate.

5 Likes

Lol it dissapates as it dries

2 Likes

SO very nice. I love seeing leather work.
I have very little desire to use it, but the more I see cool stuff like this, the more I want to!

Yes… Because Garoutte is simply ubiquitous in Indiana. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m reasonably certain he will make lots of FRIENDS without that…

Yup, referenced that…

1 Like