Leather knife sheath challenge

So recently I got into trying out items from Temu, (in case you don’t know, it’s a drop shipping site akin to wish or ali express) one of the free items I got was a pretty slick knife. I have forged a few knives, generally for gifts m, including a special knife that started it all 5 days before my now 6 years old son was born.

I wasn’t sure the quality of the knife and was expecting less knife then advertised, so today’s package delighted me when the knife was actually pretty great! Good steel, might need a little sharpening but that’s not a big deal, however…this sheath…oh boy oh boy this sheath leaves a lot to be desired.

Looking at it initially it looks pretty good! It fits the knife properly and can be worn on a standard size belt with no issues. However when you begin to look closer you will see things like:

The thread not being properly sealed off, you can literally undo the machine stiching with 0 effort.

The leather… isn’t actually leather! It’s some kind of foam core with a leather upholstery covering.

There is some kind of spacer/ gusset that is a different type of foam, also colored to look like leather but not actually leather.

So my challenge is simple, the way I see it: Rip the sheath apart and figure out the exact design so I can replicate it with top grain or shoulder leather that will be worthy of holding the knife.

-Hock

21 Likes

It is time for you to move on up.
Worth every single penny.

3 Likes

I’m still working my way though that nice shoulder I got from Tandy :rofl: if my test tomorrow works the way I hope it does I should be able to make many new Deckboxes with it

7 Likes

Fun project! Sheaths are so satisfying to make.

Interesting that a faux leather item would include that - it looks like a decorative variation on a welted seam. This is commonly used in leatherwork and shoemaking to protect the seam and hide the threads on seams under stress - similar to piping on upholstery. I’ve not seen that used on a sheath before.

8 Likes

Yeah exactly! I have some shoes that have that same stiching but they have the stiching finished properly, so it was a little odd but I think I know why they didn’t finish it off: It’s regular thread, not waxed thread

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.