Leather Magic the Gathering Commander box

So I got some amazing feedback on my Standard size Leather deckbox, but a lot of commander players came out of the woodwork to ask for something in their size.

I started designing this one as a “Casket style” which is what card boxes that store the deck sideways are called. I took one of my favorite deck(Adrix and Neiv for anyone wondering) and sized up the length based on how much would wrap around the deck itself.

This process was essential for the design because I actually was able to use less leather in length then I would have if it were tall aka standing design. After getting my rough measurements I threw the leather o the laser and got to cutting, got the size cut and the gussets followed shortly after.

I’d be lying if I said the gussets were easy, they were a massive P.I.T.A. but once I got my handle on what I was doing wrong it wasn’t hard to get it to do what I wanted.

Ill spare you all some of the finer boring details but here is the box that was originally a mockup, turned fully finished Commander Deckbox.

Till next time
-Hock

46 Likes

The box design looks fabulous as does the leather color. I haven’t ever done any leather work but looking at she sides where the stitching is, I can see why it would be difficult. Your leather work is always so beautiful.

11 Likes

Thank you! The video I first watched almost a year ago stressed how important the stiching is as it’s one of the defining characteristics that draws attention. Out of all my leatherworking skills that is the one in most proud of.

11 Likes

I notice the stitching first also and yours looks perfect. :blush:

8 Likes

Wow, that is fabulous! Absolutely beautiful work. I love it! And can think of a lot more uses than playing cards. Like a recipe box or even a keepsake box.

11 Likes

Oh absolutely, or dice box or nick nack holder, etc etc etc :joy:

5 Likes

That looks beautiful. Your work has improved to the level of expert!

11 Likes

Thank you! I’m always learning but always evolving my craft!

3 Likes

Very cool, never seen one done in leather.

8 Likes

Stitching is amazing. The finished box is fantastic.

8 Likes

Thank you! I think I wanna get some colored eyes for the next version :grin:

3 Likes

Great box! Nicely done!

7 Likes

That looks fantastic, great job.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Appreciate it!

1 Like

Beautiful design and wonderful stitching. Thanks for sharing your work!

4 Likes

I like the “Casket style” with the leather. It gives a nice suitcase feel to it.

2 Likes

I should add a handle for astethic :joy::rofl:

This is a really outstanding box, for any purpose!

1 Like

Thank you! My wife wants 2 one for Dice and one for cards :rofl:

3 Likes