Leather Stamp

I don’t know the status of Moleskines - like others, it’s been hard to pin them down.

That embossing was done with a delrin engraving, if I remember correctly, and looks pretty cool! Unfortunately I don’t have a photo handy.

1 Like

I hope Glowforge can find the time to keep pressure on manufacturers like Moleskine, so we can get the straight dope. I expect they are much more likely to listen to another company than to we individuals.

I recently tried to find out if this cool flooring product is laser-safe:

http://www.ecorecommercialflooring.com/ecosurfaces/ecosurfaces_classic.php

It’s super thin, super tough, comes in a lot of colors… With skill… or a laser… you could make some very intricate designs. But when I asked about laser safety issues, they just said they had “no data.” Too bad.

1 Like

There is a link to their MSDS here. It mentions that thermal decomposition can yield hydrogen chloride, so my guess is a big NO in the laser.

5 Likes

Good find, thanks. I didn’t think to look for the MSDS. I’m not surprised about the answer.

good find on the flooring.

I’m trying to find a msds on the moleskin

1 Like

Here is what Moleskine.com customer service replied.

"Dear Seth,
Thank you for the interest demonstrated in our brand.

We kindly inform you that most of the covers of our collections are made from synthetic materials. More specifically, the hard covers are made in Polypropylene, while the soft covers are made in Polyurethane. Other collections are manufactured in cardboard and some special editions may even include materials such as fabric. We kindly remind you that our paper objects are produced in acid-free paper. For this reason their production is eco-friendly.

Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Anastasiya
Moleskine Customer Care"

2 Likes

Hmm. So does this mean laser safe? I, admittedly, do not have much knowledge about those materials. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both will be ok from a health perspective.

2 Likes

That’s good. :slight_smile: And we don’t know if its corrosive for the laser correct?

Well here’s a whole web page about the benefits of cutting polyurethane with a laser and Trotec talks about cutting polyproylene on their site. That’s good enough for me to try it out!

7 Likes

Yup!! Looks like it’s a go for me too!! :smiley: Thanks!!

2 Likes

I love being able to pool recearch time together and get things figured out. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

LOTS of good material info on this site. Bookmarked for future use. Thanks @andistarnes. Great find for some basic materials info. And wow, these machines! Lost lots of time just watching their videos of combined laser and knife cutting.

3 Likes

So (slightly off topic) does this mean we can cut foam inserts like nobody’s business, or was that in another thread where people showed it not working?

1 Like

It just depends on the kind of foam. Trotec also has a page talking about foam.

They specifically list
Polyester (PES)
Polyethylene (PE)
Polyurethane (PUR)
Neopren®

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

So, essentially the same info as I found in the pop-up on their contact page.
Bugs me that they never responded to my contact-form inquiry.

1 Like

I have been shocked at how many of those contact forms are not even configured to actually notify someone that can do something about it. I have even been told outright that the people I was trying to contact had no access to the submissions from a form explicitly designed to contact them! Makes the software engineer in me cringe when I hear things like that!

3 Likes

I mean… I didn’t even get a form-letter back. Nuthin’.

What’s the Moleskin business model? Do they allow bulk orders to customize each or only allow in house customized branding for businesses or schooled or whoever?

1 Like

If they had replied to my request, I would have an answer for you!

2 Likes