Leather TCG deckbox and Leather hand bound notebook

Continuing my leather escapades, I’ve got 2 new projects I’m extremely proud of. A notebook worthy of any DM Notes for messing with my D&D party, and a deckbox to hold my favorite Magic the Gathering deck.

Both made from leather, both scored and hand tooled by me, the notebook is one of my own design, the deckbox is one I found inspiration from online.

The notebook : wanted to make something with the hand bound papers again. I printed my own sheets and I have 120 pages in this book. Perfect for making things difficult for my D&D players. I tested out using some acrylic paint pens during this one, as well as an oil based white for the wings. Learned a few things during that process about mixed medium’s for next time. Over all I’m really happy with how well it turned out, the tooling leather I got was esquiset to work with. And so I shifted to one of my other nerdy passion’s: Magic the gathering

Browsing Pinterest has been a major source of inspiration and part of the reason why my basement is full of random craft stuffs. But in this case it gave me Inspiration for making a new deckbox for my favorite Mtg deck.

After cutting the leather, dying it by hand, punching the holes (because this leather isn’t as forgiving when it comes to holes being cut with the laser)
The main section of the leather is ready for scoring.

I do a very light scoring just enough to leave a mark but not enough to go very deep at all, and begin using my embossing tools and scoops to make the pattern come to life.

During stiching I’m also molding the shape, learned a few lessons for the next one during this process as well including to make a wooden blank of the inside for outer shape forming. Finished stiching, dyed the ends and burnished the ends using my lathe and burnishing tool I made, setup the swing latch and put a finishing coat on it.

Pretty sure the results spoke for themselves

Till next time, happy crafting!
Hock

29 Likes

That deck case is really slick!

9 Likes

I am amazed at how nice your hand tooling looks. It really looks professional.

11 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been trying, thinking in 3D has also been tough for me so this has been very freeing to be able to make it translate. I also liked throwing the battle weathering on there because that just adds to the bonus imo

9 Likes

Thank ye Bill! I’ve got to make another one for my Commander Deck now, Adrix and Neiv must be housed in appropriate accommodations!!

7 Likes

These turned out great! I love the deck box the best.

11 Likes

Same, my friends are already asking what it would cost them to make

6 Likes

This looks great

7 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Wii is w! The gf and leather are a great combo! Nice work!

5 Likes

Wow, you did a beautiful job! Dying and burnishing the edges really makes a difference in how professional this looks and the finishing coat on the notebook and card case really complete the look. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us.

7 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been striving to push my creations further into professional realm.

3 Likes

Very nice work!
I was thrilled when I realized with a light score I could transfer a pattern to my material to follow with my tools instead of having to draw it! This laser was my introduction to CNC. Often in life, there is a before…and an after. Old school sucked.

5 Likes

I have done woodburning by hand well before getting the laser, so I absolutely know what you’re talking about

2 Likes

Your leather work is getting better and better! Really like what you’ve done here. That’s a fabulous lock.

5 Likes

Thank you! I tend to learn as I go and by mistakes made, I’ve got some ideas for making my manual book binding even better so it looks more like a book and less like a blob of leather.

2 Likes

Fantastic leather work, both the tooling and the stitching!

3 Likes

Thank you! The tooling is taking a bit to master but it’s kinda therapeutic for me. The stitches are always my main priority when I do anything like this

1 Like

Looks great!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m working on version 2 of both items tonight :grin:

1 Like