LED Edge-lit Guitar

My husband has a friend retiring next month … and he wanted to send him off with something for his music room at home. Proofgrade Thick Clear Acrylic on a base from Amazon. The guitar was purchased from Dreamstime.

The picture doesn’t do it justice as it was still so light in the house.

Used a base from Amazon … and @PrintToLaser … thank you for the settings of Full / 905 / 340 to make the perfect fit for the engraving on the lower part!

48 Likes

Rock on! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

I LOVE this! He will be tickled with such a lovely gift.

2 Likes

My pleasure. :sunglasses:
Glad you found it useful, I spent some time sneaking up on the settings for that.

Great gift! I really like the thick acrylic, the edges light up and frame it, I also like how the acrylic overlaps the slot on both sides.

2 Likes

What a wonderful gift! I didn’t know you could light something that tall—it came out great!

1 Like

Yes, I think the overlap gives a very nice … and professional finish. The thick acrylic does give a lot of wow!

1 Like

So the acrylic is thicker than the slot? And you just engraved the piece that slides into it? I have a piece of the guided light acrylic from inventables and was worried I wouldn’t be able to make it work with that same base from amazon.

Fantastic work!

1 Like

Yes, the bottom edge was engraved on both sides using the settings above (settings courtesy of @PrintToLaser ). Another indication that there is always another way to do something!

4 Likes

Thanks! I screengrabbed the settings and when my glowforge arrives I’ll try it out. Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes, just register the piece of acrylic you cut the design from on the tray so it can’t move, and you just flip the cutout in the hole it was cut from to engrave the other side.

2 Likes

Turned out great! I really like the clarity in this piece!

1 Like

Hi,
I’m brand new with my Glowforge as well as laser printing in general. I know this post is a few years old but it’s exactly what I want to do as centerpieces for my son’s party. I was wondering if I could get some guidance on making something like this?? Thank you!!

2 Likes

@ptodd is still active. She’ll see this and can tell you what she did.

There are a lot of posts for edge lit acrylic though that follow the same general process. For this one you’ll need the stratocaster file (you can do an image search on Google, there are lots of them).

1 Like

Edge-lit projects are always fun. I will say if I’m tackling any project new to me … I do a search on the forum and read everything I can. There is always something new to learn.

It has been almost 4 years now … but I would have engraved with proof-grade settings. The base of the acrylic would have been engraved on both sides with the settings in the top post. Not moving the material, just flipping it over. Also, I always reverse my image and have the engraving on the backside.

You’ll find there are many posts about engraving deeper the farther from your base that you go. The few of these that I’ve done, I didn’t feel needed that extra step.

Hope that helps a bit.

1 Like

That looks amazing. I can’t seem to get them to light up that nice. Well done.

1 Like