LED Standoff Edge-Lit Bathy/Topo Map

I’ve done edge-lit bathymetric maps in the past, but this is the first map with added topographic layers. I used 1/8" Baltic Birch for the lake levels which were painted, and different 1/16" Ply for the land levels. This is my first project using 1/16" plywood, and I love how thin it is for this application.

This is a map of Peninsula State Park in Door County, Wisconsin. A friend is a runner, and this was her first half marathon, so the race route is engraved in the top acrylic layer. Her mom died right before this race, so the run is very meaningful for because her mom would always say “Never Give Up.” I made this map for her birthday and I’m sure she’ll love it. The map lit up pictures make the acrylic look more dirty in the pics than in real life, but I’ll clean that up before gifting.

The red LED standoff was purchased from Outwater Plastics.

45 Likes

Really nice project. It is beautiful lit as well as without the lighting.

12 Likes

A very thoughtful gift. I think she’ll be very touched.

12 Likes

Very nice!
Will have to get used to your new avatar!

12 Likes

It’s been 4 1/2 years, it was time for a change.

10 Likes

I like it!

7 Likes

That’s gorgeous - I hope your friend is thrilled with your tribute.

10 Likes

That is really awesome! What a nice gift!

7 Likes

That turned out really nice. What a great way for her to remember the marathon and her mom.

5 Likes

That’s awesome, and I’m sure she will treasure this gift. So thoughtful!

4 Likes

Beautifully designed, and such a thoughtful, personal gift.

3 Likes

@pubultrastar, how considerate of you. She is lucky to have you as her friend.
What a wonderful and thoughful gift. I´m sure she will cherish it for the beauty of the piece and it´s significance.

The :glowforge: allows us to make personalized presents that transcend the mere act of gifting. Congratulations!

4 Likes