Letter Box

IMG_4001 IMG_4002

Granddaughter was turning 13 and I asked what could I make for her and she said a letter box also known as stationary box. So, I thought this is time for me to do a veneer project.

She is a huge Zelda fan so that had to be in the mix and since she is a Kilpatrick lass, I went with Celtic weaves. The basic box is cigar box designed and cut, then the sides and top were overlayed with walnut veneers. Her portrait and Celtic designs were combined with Pixelmator Pro and then uploaded and engraved on the pieces. Then the pieces were assembled into the box and hand rubbed with raw linseed oil. I wanted to put a latch on the lid but couldn’t find a good fit for the thin lid. If anyone has a source for quality box hardware, please let me know.

She was thrilled with it and of course loved the Zelda references. She said she will treasure it always. Creating legacy keepsakes for your family is one of the best uses of a Glowforge… which my grandkids have affectionately named the ‘PappyForge’!

37 Likes

What a special gift; it will be a treasure for her!

7 Likes

Your great grandchildren will probably enjoy this box too!

Well done.

6 Likes

What a beauiful gift!

5 Likes

That turned out amazing!! I love the Zelda theme! And everything about this box just looks awesome!

I want to say more… but am in just in awe looking at your pictures…

Well done.

4 Likes

Gorgeous!

3 Likes

That is a terrific piece :heart_eyes:
Hinges in those are always interesting. but I cannot see them well, How did you do those?

2 Likes

I didn’t want the hinge on the lid to show so it’s inset on the inside.

1 Like

You made the best of presents!

2 Likes