Levitada ~ a tool designed for us

But, but, but…must have gotten my magic mixed up…:smile:

10 Likes

Same thing far as the rest of us muggles are concerned :wink:

6 Likes

I’m glad the name implies “levitate” - I was hoping you’d hear both “levitate” and TA-DA! So, I think you’re pronouncing it correctly.

I went “shopping” for a word that meant “to be uplifted by giving” - the last answer in the FAQ (http://levitada.com/faq.html) explains it a bit:

What does “Levitada” mean?
In Estonian and Finnish it means “to spread” or “to disseminate”. In Portuguese, it is the past tense of “to levitate”. On this site, it means to be uplifted by the act of giving freely. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/levitada

btw, thx for the support and encouragement :slight_smile: Through Levitada, I just gave away 3 (of 4) paper crafting items that I no longer use, so I’m very happy that the site has (slowly) started to work!

8 Likes

Well, yes. That’s the levi I was thinking… but not everybody here memorizes 7 volumes of Magical theory… so I went with a word that’s been in the lexicon a bit longer and is a bit more generally recognized by muggles.

Hurrah! I always like to get it right at first… or I’ll get it wrong forever.

2 Likes

Ya know, muggle is a great word. And there’s nothing similar in English that’s not offensive, really. And I realize in that universe “muggle” is offensive to many, but not here. So I’d really like to thank Rowling for the word. I use it here and there and I find it to be the most-appropriate choice of words when I do use it.

3 Likes

Could use No-Mage… but it somehow seems grittier.
So even though I’m a Yank and technically a no-mage, I still do prefer Muggle as my descriptor.
Back to the topic. I’m looking forward to using Levitada both to give and to accept.
Thanks for setting it up. I hope it leaks out into the world at a pretty good clip.

3 Likes

The Japanese have 2 sayings about this:
“If students could judge their own work’s quality then there would be no need for Masters”
and
“Never stand too close to your own work”

The person i heard these from was a Master Tea Bowl maker and my meeting with him is a (long) story of its own

13 Likes

Love that. Perfect.

You were fortunate to have the experience and to take his lesson.

“Every time an old man dies a library burns down”

9 Likes

Levitada has had its first major success! The listing below is being donated to The Dragonslayer Walk to End Sarcoma (nwsarcoma.org) at the End of April in Seattle. I’m thrilled that within a week or so, a charity is already benefitting. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Way to be @cynzu :+1:
Giving back is it’s own reward. I mean, besides a tax write off…

6 Likes

Or, as Samuel Johnson is reputed to have said, “Read over your compositions, and where ever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.”

6 Likes

“Kill your darlings.”

2 Likes

Good Day, other than the “donate” page I keep getting pushed to the Sharetribe page.

She had to drop her order. I’m not sure it’s still in operation. :disappointed:

1 Like