Lexan

I went to HOME DEPOT to buy some acrylic. Needless to say I had a hard time choosing. Finally, I found something of the right dimension and I bought 7 pieces. I tried cutting some gears and found that even at Full power the GF came nowhere near cutting through the material. I couldn’t figure it out until I looked at the label…LEXAN! Oops. Lesson learned. LEXAN is a glass substitute @20X stronger than glass. It will melt instead of cutting.

2 Likes

Good to know. Hope you were able to take some of it back and get a refund.

2 Likes

Yeah pretty common thing to see and think “I’m totally going to laser that”. You might like this post, particularly check out #4:

Also, if you have a smartphone with you, a quick search of the forum while you are in Home Depot might have helped you out here:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=lexan

Too little too late for you now of course, but if you ever spot me in home depot looking at new ideas for laserable materials, chances are I’ve got material in one hand and my phone in the other. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lexan is polycarbonate, not acrylic. It’s stated right there on the plastic coating.

Other than “overhead transparency sheet” thickness, it’s unsuitable for the laser.

… but that’s now been covered, again, above…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.