Lid Glue Seppuku

I epoxied my lid twice. I now own a Aeon Mira 7 & very happy with it. I did purchase a 3rd party Lid bracket which I did not use & is still new. If your interested in it contact me at rmaker1952@aol.com

6 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

17 Likes

which epoxy did you use?

I have a number of lasers, but still like to use the glowforge from time to time for prototyping and my girlfriend finds it easiest to use

I hear good things about aeon

7 Likes

As I recall from way-back pictures, your work area has evolved…
Which adhesive did you settle on? Any issues in that operation?

5 Likes

I used JB weld glass.

Yeah the shop has definitely evolved over time. I have 2 shops at the house. One in the garage, and one in my office =P. About to build an expansion on the house to account for overflow lol

p.s. I guess theres technically 3 if you count the embroidery studio haha

10 Likes

I used Loctite Epoxy. This is the 5 minute epoxy with the instant Mix Syringe. This makes it fairly easy to get the epoxy into the crevices.

7 Likes

You said twice… Did you use the same epoxy both times?

5 Likes

Good as new!

Lid and front door/ handle

12 Likes

Yes the 2nd time held up very well.

7 Likes

My son has been watching tons of videos on YouTube from the YouTube channel “Smarter Every Day” and they have several videos about Prince Rupert’s drops. I didn’t know about any of that until the last month or so. lol

4 Likes

Fantastic!!!

4 Likes

Excellent!
This happened just after your post. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Well, I must not have cleaned the old glue off well enough or put enough weight on it, because one of the sides has popped back up. I don’t feel like pulling it apart just yet to know whether the glue came off from the glass or the hinge, but if it’s soon I’ll let you know.

I think a fair amount of it (including the first disconnect) is due to the glass shrinking/expanding since it’s out in my garage and experiences a wider range of temperature.

Either way, I’m in for a second round of glueing at some point. I didn’t pull all the old glue off, as it was pretty much as hard as what it was attached to. I also didn’t rough up the surface of anything at all, so you may want to try that and see how it comes out.

6 Likes

I never considered thermal cycling as a variable. I have to wonder where that stress between the glass and metal is induced because seemingly it was subsequent to assembly. There was a definite spring tension on the edge I had to clamp.
These machines (tubes) are 6 years old and beginning to show it. I’ve recently had to slow the cut to make it through. Power degradation seems to be accelerating.
I would really like to attempt the tube replacement myself, because therein lies the education.

Across the years I have wondered about you man, after the Beta your presence faded. You were a big help to me when I wandered in here.

5 Likes

Not a good thing in any case. I have come to think of them as an indoor pet that if the pet was not happy the Glowforge would not be happy either.

The actual distances in expansion are really tiny like 10 to the -7 so probably not relevant at the distances in a Glowforge lid unless there is no give at all as is the case with glass on glass.

Since it is now a matched surface that is when CA glue is the strongest.

5 Likes

Question here since I’m about to start this- are you full glasses off or just the corner? Mine is just a little bit past the black band on the right hinge and I don’t know how to remove the old glue to put the glue on that area. If you’re dealing with a full delamination that is a different story since you’d have full access. But I don’t really want to remove the whole thing if I don’t have to.

Thanks in advance. Didn’t think this was a club I was gonna be joining.

If it matters I have a pro.

5 Likes

CA glue does not care what it grabs it will grab everything (including any old glue), the smaller the gap the better. Just don’t flood the hinges.

5 Likes

I just did mine this past weekend. I used the JB Weld Epoxy recommended in the forum. I’m not at home so I can’t get the exact name. It worked great. I followed someone on here’s advice and used masking to be sure I didn’t streak glue where it didn’t belong. Go for it.

11 Likes

(Knock on wood) I haven’t had any issues with my original Pro model until this week when the lid glass glue decided to fail. Looks like the JB Weld Epoxy or CA glue is the way to go for repair? Guess I’ll be trying one of them this weekend!
Any updates on longevity of your repair for those of you who have re-glued the glass?
Thanks for any words of wisdom!

4 Likes

I remember one person saying their repair failed because they hadn’t taken the time to get all the old glue off, so take your time!
Fingers crossed for you :slight_smile:

5 Likes