Lid Hinge and handle reattachment

Hi folks, Just wanted to post yet another thread about reattaching your lid and handle.
(Also apologies that this is my first post :slight_smile: )

I found that it was easiest to remove the four nuts from the hinge and get the other side of the hinge that sticks to the lid and the lid on a flat surface to clean up and then glue them back together.

I cleaned up the old glue using a combination of a scraper blade and some denatured alcohol dabbed on with a cloth. Obviously go to town on the plastic and metal piece that sticks to the lid but be careful with removing the old glue on the lid itself. (You do need to remove it too)

I did end up using the JB-Weld Clear Epoxy that folks here have already posted about.
It does clean up with denatured alcohol or scraper if you get it outside of where you should.

(If you do clean up with denatured alcohol, get it on a cloth or heavy duty shop towel and be careful to only touch up the parts which need cleanup)

My lid handle also came off at the same time, so I was able to glue both of them up before reattaching to the GlowForge.

Hope this helps.

25 Likes

Welcome to the community and nice of you to share the steps you took to fix this!

11 Likes

I can attest that failing to remove the old glue will not lead to success.

12 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

5 Likes

I used one of these scrapers to remove the old glue. It makes the job go a lot faster.

https://www.autozone.com/cutting-drilling-scraping-and-splitting-hand-tools/knives-and-multitools/p/titan-products-mini-razor-scraper/704377_0_0

8 Likes

Nice way to make an entrance! Welcome to the forum.
Methodical repair there, and good writeup.

7 Likes

Yeah, itโ€™s too bad that this is why you had to post but definitely thank you for writing it up. It takes quite a bit of effort to write up process posts like this, itโ€™s always highly appreciated.

10 Likes

You folks are too kind. But Iโ€™ve been consuming all these forum posts for all these many months. Glad I could contribute a bit also.

10 Likes