Lifting Glass Lid on Left Side

The top glass lid is no longer flush and is separating from the hinge on the left when in the closed position. The appearance is that the lid glass is no longer flush and is lifting. As I open it, the glass gets flush with the metal frame that runs along the back. I contacted GF and they gave me the option to send it back to them for a 2-3 week repair. I have seen from research here and at other GF sites that the glass is simply glued to the hinge. I am looking for other people’s experience about what I should do. Should I send it to them or glue it myself with a strong 2 part adhesive?

1 Like

Posting here opens a support ticket. Support can only advise the solutions they support, i.e. sending it in. If your machine is under warranty, you would be advised to do that.

If you search the Beyond the Manual section, you’ll find a few threads on this where people have repaired it themselves.

I did not realize that this area opens a support ticket…i got one of those. Thanks

Searching the forums is generally hit or miss. Sometimes you find what you are looking for, sometimes not. You have to duplicate keywords or phrases that others have used. I’ll give it a try

Yeah, it takes some practice, but the info is there.

Lid, title only, Beyond the manual:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?expanded=true&q=lid%20in%3Atitle%20%23beyond-the-manual

2 Likes

Here you go Lid hinge
This one seems to have had the best success so far among the DIY repairs.

2 Likes

The key to success in any online search is to start out as vague as possible and narrow the field. Most searches also allow the use of quotations to search only the word(s) relevant.

2 Likes

Golly & Thanks. That’s exactly what I needed … an elementary tutorial on how to do online searches. Sooooo helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for that. PC7 would be my go to also. I did see this discussion but did not really find if it was a successful & long term solution

1 Like

elfguy - I saw your suggestion of the 3M tape which I have and should work and would be a lot easier than the PC7

If you decide to go that route please report back with your experience for the benefit of the community. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I sure will.

2 Likes

Make sure it’s the right stuff - not the thick stuff you get at auto parts supply and similar. I was suggesting the type that’s used for veneer and similar. It’s not much thicker than masking tape.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was just trying to help you. Your comment indicated a level of struggle in searching.

2 Likes

You came asking for help, and demonstrated that you couldn’t find information in the forum that really only requires a pretty basic search. A complete stranger was kind enough to take a moment out of their day to provide you a helpful response with clear, easy to understand instructions that will serve you, not just in solving this problem but for any you might encounter in the future…and your response is dripping sarcasm?

Wow. I’ll make a note to scroll on past your questions in the future.

my bad - that was rude of me- but I did not need search instructions. I have a lot of interests and read a lot of forums but rarely post because I to often see responses that go off topic and do not address the actual inquiry. Before posting, I had searched GF community posts and read other questions and answers about the lid issues but I had trouble finding what was a bonafide successful fix that lasted. The sarcasm was uncalled for but I already done my searching, reading, on this and other GF forums, contacting GF support, etc and I wanted to know what works. I think elfguy provided the answer.

1 Like

@clyde @geek2nurse

It is all good. That was yesterday, today we will be friends.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble with your unit’s lid. Thank you for the update that the answer @eflyguy provided was the information you were looking for. I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!