Light Switch Extender

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster :slight_smile: While most of the things I’ve made with my laser over the past two years have been for my kids, I made this light switch extender mostly for myself. My little one is not so little anymore and is getting SO heavy to lift up to the switch because she wants to do everything herself these days, including turning the light on and off. Once I got the geometry of the light switch plate, it was pretty simple to draw up and quick to cut. I’ve seen acrylic ones that screw directly into the light plate, but I didn’t really want to mess with that, so I just used double-sided foam tape on the light switch plate and it’s held up great so far. And my back feels better too!!

56 Likes

Really cool design. Welcome to the forum as a poster. Look forward to seeing more things from you.

4 Likes

Brilliant! They keep growing because you keep feeding them. (But they get grumpy af if you don’t.)

11 Likes

Very nice practical cut!

6 Likes

A great idea. There are a few locations in this place that someone thought that putting the light switch behind open doors was a good way to go and perhaps your trick might be an answer.

4 Likes

Part of our nightly routine is letting ours turn off the light when we put him to bed. Some of our switches are just within his reach to flip on and off, while others are not. There are days where he’ll run through the house turning the ones he can reach off and on again, pretty fun. This is a great idea, thanks for sharing such a neat project!

6 Likes

Genius idea, and nicely implemented!

3 Likes

Very cool! I love a good practical project :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Never seen anything like this. Well done!

5 Likes

What a cool idea. I look forward to seeing the other things you make.

6 Likes

So clever - and a great back saver! I like the star on the end - makes it special just for her!

3 Likes

I like the fact that it’s mounted on one switch, as opposed to making a tool they can carry around and wreak havoc on lighting all around the home!

4 Likes

That looks great. I love the star on the bottom.

2 Likes

Cute idea!!

1 Like

I just saw one of these in the last week. A really great idea!

3 Likes

Yes, the new extender has been through quite a robust beta test as she likes to flip it on and off repeatedly just because she can. I sometimes wonder what our neighbors think about the flickering lights, haha!

1 Like

Yea, a stand-alone tool is a non-starter in my house. Anything that looks remotely long and slender is immediately converted to a sword, lightsaber, or some other kind of weapon!

3 Likes

You say this like that’s a problem…

3 Likes

Art teacher even in high school:

The t-square is not a gun, axe, sword, hammer, laser cannon, or anything other than a t-square!!

Poor guy. We think he had a minor heart attack in class one day. Or minor stroke. I can claim I’d already stopped to class when it happened.

1 Like

Aha! Did not exclude halberd, for which it is perfect!

3 Likes