Light Switch Guard

I made this light switch guard that prevents you from turning on/off a light switch. I made the design using 1/5" material, so I’m not sure how well thinner materials would work.

Here are some photos:

Here is the design:
Light switch guard

Be careful not to tighten the screws too much or the guard may slip off.

46 Likes

Great idea.

8 Likes

Very useful.

6 Likes

I have some scrap white acrylic that might be perfect for this! I should try this out.

9 Likes

Brilliant, so much nicer than that piece of tape I use :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing it!

3 Likes

Fantastic idea!!

4 Likes

Great solution wa pesky problem.

8 Likes

i literally just put masking tape over a light switch last night so my wife wouldn’t accidentally turn it off. guess i know what i’m cutting tonight.

9 Likes

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Cool idea, thanks for the share! I bet the whole thing would look great in the wood.

5 Likes

I think I’ll be cutting one of these too.

I’ve got that one switch… :smiley:

4 Likes

I used .05 acrylic (intended as replacement picture frame glass) from THD. The holes are just the size of the threads so the screws don’t appear to be proud of the plate, and it’s virtually invisible.

One wall of my living room has switched outlets as there is no overhead lighting, but I have many things plugged in besides lights (plus all my lighting is automated anyway). It should have been wired so only one of the two receptacles on each outlet is switched, but they didn’t bother when they remodeled.

3 Likes

How would it slip off? You mean pop off?

Yeah! Or make a whole wood plate with the modification built in

2 Likes

Nice and useful. I have a few of those switches as well.

1 Like

Yes that was my thought :slight_smile:

That might make a great file generator for Cuttle.

2 Likes

Or, make a blank plate and eliminate the switch altogether. :slight_smile:

1 Like

that requires some rewiring to create a permanently on (non-existent) switch. for most people, it’s probably much safer to either create the new plate that can’t be switched or an adapter to go with the plate that blocks it.

7 Likes