Light Up Mini Lantern Earrings

We’re going to see Danny Elfman conducting performing (!) Nightmare Before Xmas this weekend - in honor of the occasion I made these mini lanterns with LEDs inside. Earrings for me, necklaces for my non-pierced friends.

They’re sized around the LEDs (self contained tiny units with batteries and switch meant to go inside balloons) and cut from 1/16” plywood, then painted and sealed.

87 Likes

These are terrific! How do you access the switch for the lights?

16 Likes

Those have to be some of the coolest earrings I have ever seen!

Is the switch accessible from the bottom, or are they the kind that once on you cannot turn off, just let the battery die?

:Edited:
(A quick google search later) I am guessing they are the bullet lights, and it looks like they DO have a switch.

Such a creative and beautiful idea!

18 Likes

Thanks!

Yup! The lights are friction fit into a cutout in the bottom piece of the lantern with switch exposed.

30 Likes

That is just too awesome! I love your creativity with this!

15 Likes

Looks great

12 Likes

I love these! I’ve thought of the idea of lighted earrings before but never did anything about it. What fun!

14 Likes

Oooh…those are neat!!

11 Likes

Awesome!

11 Likes

What a great idea! Those are awesome!

11 Likes

These are really cool. This is a clever use of those little bulbs, as well.

If you switched the design to a generic one, they’d probably do well in the catalog!

13 Likes

Thanks! I’d thought about it but it’s not PG (uses 1/16” wood, necessary for something so tiny.)
But I may be able to rejigger for one of the Aura EcoThin acrylics.

13 Likes

Is the PG light ply thin enough?

9 Likes

Wow. Super fun!

10 Likes

So clever, they’re darling!

8 Likes

Great idea!

6 Likes

Sadly not, it’s only a tiny bit thinner than medium PG .

7 Likes

These are fantastic! I love that they illuminate, and the wonderful style, painting, and light. All around win! And I would love to see Danny Elfman conduct. His masterclass was great.

10 Likes

I love these!!! You did a great job with the finish too.

8 Likes

These are just sooo cool!

7 Likes