Lines per inch

Not much to see yet, as I figured someone would have done this by now. Any links showing the different lines per inch settings the GF does?

If not I am going to setup some testing for it. Any thoughts on what would make a good test material, image to use, etc. I can wing it, but figured someone might have some traps to avoid.

From a pre-release by @Jules

And the referred to test from @jamesdhatch

The most important thing is to only change one thing at a time. Choose a material and have at it.

What would NOT make a good test material is quartz counter top material. I know for some reason.

Thank you sir, not quite what I was looking for but a good start.

I think I am going to look for an image with a good gradient of detail in it and just start at 10 LPI and work up from there. I normally do 270 or 340, but I wonder if that is too little or too much in some cases. I suspect ultra low LPI could create some interesting artsy effects too.

Lots of ways to test… it depends on what you want to test.

For example, I did a vector gradient that was the background of a piece and engraved with vary-power which gave both a beautiful slope and progressive darkening of color.

Materials… I’ve heard aluminum anodizing will take as much resolution as you throw at it. Whereas a material like wood might not experience better results at say, above 500/600lpi. Or perhaps worse results.

Yeah, Dan showed off a max LPI engraving of a GF logo on anodized that was silky smooth, and I imagine the grain of the wood limits the detail… we shall seee dunn dunnn dunnnnnnn

As for wood, both the grain and the fact that you’re passing over the same area many more times. It’s only going to hold so much detail. Kind of like a like drawing in the sand at the beach versus drawing on a piece of paper.