Lining for a Memory Box - Need suggestions

I’m making a memory box which is basically just a box with a lid. But I’d like to line it with something. Does anyone have any tips on materials to line a box with? Sounds kind of like a silly request, but would love to see some examples of what you’ve lined the inside of boxes with.

This is my “practice” box - going to learn on this one, probably make another one with stain and lining… .but really excited about it.

5 Likes

I’ve used everything from velvet to silk-like fabric to craft paper.

As there is no way to get perfect seams, I most often make wrapped inserts for each side, but glue the bottom panel directly to the base. I’ve also made them “cushioned” by wrapping cut panels of craft foam.

I’ve also used craft foam alone for more utilitarian function, and pre-printed craft paper with “relevant” designs, like travel-oriented print for a travel-related object like a compass.

I’ve never used it in a box, but felt is nice for a hidden gun locker, which is really just a big box!

8 Likes

I don’t recall where I got it, (maybe the local HD) but I used a spray can product that mimics a velvet look. Great for getting into tight corners although it doesn’t feel as soft as actual material.

3 Likes

I have used the laserable leather like product from Johnson Plastics Plus (Saddle Collection) and cut with the same file as the wood. You can even engrave it.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of something you’ve made? Do you just glue the leather to the wood?

2nd vote for craft foam - and you can get it in different colours.
Felt is also really easy to cut and looks great.
I’ve lined one with denim cut in a single cross shape, then fitted to the interior, though it is a bit fiddly getting the corners right. I regularly use denim on just the bottom layer of boxes.
You can get spray on “flock” finishes which look better than they feel.
You could just line it with crepe paper - depends what’s going in.
You could cut leather panels to fit

Personally I would go felt or denim (or other cloth)

4 Likes

I agree with @sqw, I would probably use felt, denim, or some other cloth. You could wrap it around a smaller piece cut out, and then just glue it down hiding all the edges. That would allow you to add in some padding too, if you wanted to. That would make it extra fancy!

You could do the inside sides the same way, and have them come up a little past the top to give a nice edge for the box lit to sit around.

(Edit: I forgot to add, “Go Royals!” That rally that year was crazy! 800k people, a sea of blue…)

3 Likes

Leather?

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot! Headliner material. It has a built-in foam backing. I’ve used that for cue cases. Just make sure your spray adhesive doesn’t attack the foam. Back in the day, '77 would just melt it but I don’t think the current formulation does.

3 Likes

probably “flocking.”

3 Likes

There’s also “real” flocking, not the stuff from a spray can.

8 Likes

I just did a smaller box with this stuff:

https://www.flockit.com/

I think it came out pretty good, both in look and feel. I can’t speak to durability, yet.

It does require some effort to get it right.

5 Likes

I use this stuff for jewelry boxes. Its really incredible and easy to use!!!

2 Likes

This is what we used in shop class when I was a kid.

3 Likes

Lined using adhesive craftfoam - I copied the cut file from the box itself and removed the fingers to get the cut file for the foam. The hardest part was lining up the pieces since that adhesive really sticks!

4 Likes

This one is lined with adhesive felt.

5 Likes