Links disappearing from posts?

I wonder if there’s a way from the discourse admin side to figure out which posts this youtube video issue would apply to.

Widespread linkrot is a significant concern, if the forum is fundamentally broken on some level it’s a pretty major adoption roadblock. This might be worth some investigation on the forum admins’ part – we certainly can’t be the only discourse with this issue, I’d think there’s gotta be a server-side solution.

2 Likes

One good reason not to rebake all posts: making that many requests to Youtube’s servers (in order to retrieve video titles, thumbnails, etc. for the previews) in quick succession would probably result in the Discourse web server’s IP address being blacklisted by Youtube.

This post on Discourse Meta includes a script for rebaking posts using the old Youtube embedding code in a rate-limited manner. But I’m not sure Glowforge could do that anyway, as they’re using a hosted Discourse instance rather than running their own server.

2 Likes

@emilyhuh The Discourse team suggests that Glowforge reach out to them to discuss options for fixing this and info about potential causes. You’re a paying customer, you have tech support: team@discourse.org

4 Likes

Thanks Dan! I’ll reach out to Discourse to see if we can fix this.

1 Like

@dan84 or @evermorian if either one of you have a link to a post that isn’t showing the video embedded, please pass that along. all of the links that @evermorian had flagged are showing up as embedded for me probably because @evermorian fixed the videos.

Here’s one:

There should be a YouTube video at the end of that top post.

2 Likes

I only fixed the Lunar Lander post. Revisiting the others, the Phoenix card post seems to have been fixed/magically recovered on its own. The Flower Press and Spiraling card posts are still missing the videos.

I dug back for more. Some are okay. These are also still not displaying the videos:

3 Likes

@evermorian @dan84 Great. Thank you! Just emailed Discourse to see if this can be fixed. Appreciate it!

4 Likes

@evermorian @dan84 Youtube links are showing as embedded now! Let me know if you all still see any issues.

Thank you so much for your help and recommendations!

3 Likes

Can you share what the solution was? I’m curious.

1 Like

The video is still missing from the Spiraling post but, the others are fixed now.

2 Likes

Weird. The video is showing for me in the Spiraling post in the original post. Or did you have a video in the comment? I wonder if Discourse can’t fix the videos in comments, but I can ask.

This is what Discourse told me: "We are not sure what the exact cause of the issue is, but we are able to rebake all those posts for you. "

5 Likes

Right. There is a directly-uploaded video in the original post but, there is a YT post linked in that specific reply.

1 Like

It’s easy enough for me to fix that one post/comment. I’m just concerned about other old posts from people who won’t know or care to fix them.

1 Like

Just asked if they can rebake videos in comments as well.

1 Like

“All those” meaning the ones we pointed out or can they programmatically look at all the posts to find the hidden ones we don’t know about?

@evansd2 @evermorian @dan84 Discourse said that they will work on making sure all posts with YouTube links in them get rebaked. The process will take some time, but they’ll let me know as soon as it’s finished.

6 Likes

The video in your comment is now showing.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.