Links disappearing from posts?

I don’t see a video link in this post:

Is it a me thing? I have an ad blocker on my phone I wonder if it’s stripping embedded YouTube videos?

3 Likes

No, I don’t see a video link. His website (in his profile) is also gone, so probably he hosted it on his website.

I also don’t see your project that you should be showing in this category. :wink:

Edit: Looks like a change was made, so I take it back.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this several times lately. It’s mystifying. Same result on a different browser, with no ad blockers.

3 Likes

No link for me either

1 Like

Yeah, same here, I’ve been noticing some old posts are missing the YouTube videos.

1 Like

Huhn. I have posted a number of YT project videos. Looking back through those, I found that the videos have been removed from everything before July of 2019.

Etc.

I can’t think of a good reason for this to have been done intentionally. It definitely decreases the value of the forum as an archive.

@emilyhuh , maybe you can look into this when you get back?

4 Likes

The YouTube links are still there in the posts, but they’re not being converted to an embedded video to watch:

Which makes me think this is a configuration/template/Discourse bug and not an intentional change.

A Discourse expert I asked suggested the admins try “rebaking” those posts to see if that fixes it. If so, they can “rebake” all posts, or all posts before whatever date things are broken.

9 Likes

it’s weird that it seems date-related, tho.

1 Like

Nice sleuthing!

1 Like

I hit edit on the first one in my list and re-saved it, which did not change anything. I edited again, removed a punctuation mark, saved and, that made the video come back. (I re-edited again and replaced the punctuation.)

So, it looks like the original author can fix them. If they know to do so and care.

5 Likes

@evermorian Thanks for flagging and investigating the issue with the old YT videos (sorry for the delay - was on vacation and just got back today).

You’re right - I can’t do anything on the admin side to fix the old posts that have aren’t automatically showing the videos, so hopefully the original posters will notice and fix it themselves but hopefully the issue will maybe be fixed by itself in the future and it won’t affect new posts. Let me know if you find anything else out. Thank you!

3 Likes

No need to apologize. We knew you were gone and, this certainly wasn’t anything urgent.

2 Likes

Thank you for understanding!!

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a way from the discourse admin side to figure out which posts this youtube video issue would apply to.

Widespread linkrot is a significant concern, if the forum is fundamentally broken on some level it’s a pretty major adoption roadblock. This might be worth some investigation on the forum admins’ part – we certainly can’t be the only discourse with this issue, I’d think there’s gotta be a server-side solution.

2 Likes

One good reason not to rebake all posts: making that many requests to Youtube’s servers (in order to retrieve video titles, thumbnails, etc. for the previews) in quick succession would probably result in the Discourse web server’s IP address being blacklisted by Youtube.

This post on Discourse Meta includes a script for rebaking posts using the old Youtube embedding code in a rate-limited manner. But I’m not sure Glowforge could do that anyway, as they’re using a hosted Discourse instance rather than running their own server.

2 Likes

@emilyhuh The Discourse team suggests that Glowforge reach out to them to discuss options for fixing this and info about potential causes. You’re a paying customer, you have tech support: team@discourse.org

4 Likes

Thanks Dan! I’ll reach out to Discourse to see if we can fix this.

1 Like

@dan84 or @evermorian if either one of you have a link to a post that isn’t showing the video embedded, please pass that along. all of the links that @evermorian had flagged are showing up as embedded for me probably because @evermorian fixed the videos.

Here’s one:

There should be a YouTube video at the end of that top post.

2 Likes

I only fixed the Lunar Lander post. Revisiting the others, the Phoenix card post seems to have been fixed/magically recovered on its own. The Flower Press and Spiraling card posts are still missing the videos.

I dug back for more. Some are okay. These are also still not displaying the videos:

3 Likes