Flower Press

After seeing a flower press a friend’s dad made for her, I realized that certain nieces might also need flower presses to properly celebrate spring and summer. So, I designed this one. It was a lot of fun to make. The plates are made of Baltic birch. The bottom layer is two sheets with captive washers in pockets between the layers. The hex heads of the bolts are captured in the holes (so that they don’t spin when you try to tighten the press) and held with magnets (so they don’t fall out when you turn it over). It provides a nice surface to feature an engrave, too.

Do you feel like a flower press might improve the spring or summer of you or someone you know? Perhaps you will check the Free Laser Designs section.

37 Likes

cool… didnt know that was even a thing. theres things for everything!

This might not work, but I also thought it could be cool if it were made of acrylic so you could see the flowers in the press

7 Likes

Good idea!

@takitus - Great iteration. Good to see you around man! You were a big part of the ‘Friendly/helpfull’ I found when I wandered in here years ago.

6 Likes

Typically you’d dry the flowers between blotting sheets and cardboard to help absorb the moisture so they can dry. Cool idea, but I don’t think it would go so well.

8 Likes

This is cool. Love pressed flowers!

3 Likes

I had a friend who would travel to somewhere in New Mexico (I think) to gather a specific soil/sand that she would bury flowers in to dessicate them. It was a meticulous process to slowly fill the container with it to preserve the flower pedal position without distorting the shape so they were 3D. Apparently it’s an artform.

10 Likes

Maybe save the acrylic version for stage two of the process.

4 Likes

What is stage two? Displaying them? Because that would be cool.

6 Likes

Yes, like the 2D version of this…

12 Likes

I remember doing that with my mom when I was little.

7 Likes

You desicated your Mom when you were little?

14 Likes

Very cool, kinda want :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile::rofl::older_woman:

4 Likes

Norman Bates?

6 Likes

You know, I reworded that sentence when I first wrote it because it could have been read as my mom desiccating me.

It’s possible my mom would agree with your assertion.

:rofl:

5 Likes

“A mother is a boy’s best friend…”

5 Likes

Perfect idea for Mother’s Day! :wink:

4 Likes

Lovely! Perfect for spring and summer.

Thanks for sharing the files, too! I think the kiddos in my life will enjoy this very much.

3 Likes

Nice gift! May they have many blooms to choose from.

2 Likes

#I_Made_This_Too

Just made one last night as gift for a friend at work.

9 Likes