Little chick ornaments

How long does each one take to assemble? I’m sometimes surprised when I pull out an old design when it comes to assembly…

6 Likes

Interesting question. I’ll have to time myself. At a guess — now that I’ve had a little practice:

Preparation:
15 minutes: Preparing a batch of veneers (masking & applying adhesive)
30 minutes: Staining some walnut, painting black some plywood for spacers
10 minutes: Cutting jigs for alignment

Single ornament (not batched):
60 minutes: Cutting and engraving (8 jobs on different materials)
45 minutes: Weeding and assembly (30 pieces per ornament)

I’m sure I’d improve the process if I were planning to do them in bulk.

9 Likes

Your graphic style really calls to me. Remind me again, are you a graphic artist? Really nice designs.

8 Likes

I wish I could claim more credit, but I’m not a very skilled artist. This started with a concept from DALL-E, and then I did some work tweaking it and getting it into a version that could actually be constructed.

9 Likes

Say wut? You knock it out of the park!

6 Likes

these are phenomenal! I love the heart one.

6 Likes

OK, actual answer: almost an hour. I timed myself making a batch of 12 (six variations), for family gifts. It took

7.5 hours: preparing and cutting 24 different materials
10.5 hours: weeding and assembly of 12 ornaments, around 30 pieces per ornament.

I’m not very fast; I think most people would do it more quickly.

If I wanted to streamline it, I would do fewer variations, less shell veneer, and see if the design could be simplified.

8 Likes

What a great idea. I love these!

3 Likes

The end result is all you. You had the eye, did the revision and edits. Then finessed everything in a very skilled way. Take the credit you deserve. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I appreciate that, thanks! I’m glad you were inspired to do the sloth, which came out really great.

3 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like