Little Free Library (Upgraded by Glowforge!)

Cross-posted with Facebook:

I just completed a renovation of our existing “Little Free Library”, which was the project I was most looking forward to while I waited 2 years for the GF to arrive.
The main problem with the existing structure was the roof. I originally had used thin hobby/craft plywood (1/16” thick perhaps), hand cut and painted with textured paint (and clear coated) to resemble real shingles. Unfortunately, it only took about one winter of freeze/thaw cycles before they began to separate and peel (see first pic).
For the remodel, I decided to go with 1/4” poplar hardwood planks of varying widths and lengths, and engraved to look like spines of books stacked on a shelf. Most of the titles were favorites picked by my wife and 9yo daughter (avid readers, more so than me!). I stained them various shades of grey, and included one “book to come” painted gold, as a reminder of our goal to someday write & illustrate a children’s book ourselves. Added a outdoor-grade protective finish.
The door had an existing plexiglass window. I added an engraved piece of acrylic (with quote from Stephen King) to the inside of the window frame, and edge-lit it with led strip lights (on a timer). Since they are not rated for outdoor use, I reconfigured the door to hinge along the top and open up. This will hopefully keep precipitation from inside the library if it is opened in foul weather. Also, gravity will help keep it closed (a problem previously).
Lastly, designed and forged a new sign to replace the boring stock sign the LFL organization provides.
Overall, happy with the results! Curious to see how the roof holds up to the elements.

91 Likes

Oh that is adorable! What a phenomenal idea! (Huge bibliophile here!) :grinning::+1:

7 Likes

This is truly awesome -
in my last neighborhood there was a neighbor that had this set up (not nearly as elaborate and beautiful) with a bench and a dog bowl full of water -
this is really nice

6 Likes

Just learned a new word today. Thanks, @Jules. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I love this!

2 Likes

We have a few of these were I live, but certainly none this fancy!

3 Likes

Beautiful and inspirational!
We have a “library box” at our local park entrance. I can’t begin to tell you how much better yours looks!

2 Likes

I love IT !!!

2 Likes

This is amazing! How kind and thoughtful of you!

2 Likes

Wonderful execution of a great give back. Sadly I live on a dead end so limited usefulness for me. It’s the nicest LFL that I’ve seen. Congrats!

3 Likes

That’s just incredible. I love the LFL concept and you did an outstanding job on the library. :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Love this…absolutely love it…going to need to upgrade my little free library…roof especially

2 Likes

Simply wonderful! I love the roof especially, but the door is fabulous too. Don’t be surprised if you get lots of folks wanting one!

1 Like

Amazing! Well done!

Amazing!!

I love this. You did an amazing job. Love the book bind look. Love the etched front with the night light glow. Love the quote too. Heck I just love everything you did. Such a WOW project.

1 Like

This is fantastic. Kudos to you!

2 Likes

That’s fantastic. Hopefully it’ll inspire others to add LFLs to their neighborhoods. Nice work on the book spines roof (but I would have put one on upside-down just to make it look like a real bookshelf!) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is absolutely beautiful! I especially love the roof. I wanted to paint book spines on the stair risers at my house. Maybe I’ll try something like this instead.

3 Likes

Really nice!