Little trains for Mexican Train Dominoes

We got the kids some Dominoes for Christmas. My wife grew up playing Mexican Train with her grandparents, so she wanted me to make some pieces so we could play it.

I threw the design together pretty quick, but I thought they turned out really well.

They were quite a pain to glue the six pieces together… but, they do look pretty good, so I thought it was worth the effort.

All the acrylic used was just scrap I had left from other projects. They really are rather small, less than inch long.

[Edit: added a photo of the “station” platform.]

[Edit: created a new modular platform.]

55 Likes

I grew up playing this game, as well. We just used coins, but if we had had these cuties, that would have been so cool!

5 Likes

These are so cute! Our family uses a coin as well. Great idea!

4 Likes

Does the black “smoke stack” extend the full length of the train to serve as a pin to locate the back pieces for glueing?

2 Likes

Those are squeeee! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :squeeee: :squeeee: :squeeee: :squeeee:

5 Likes

These look much better than the 3D printed ones I gave my mom several years back.

3 Likes

No. The “engine” is cut from black. It is just in the front of the middle.

The curved top is like a sideways “T” that are glued together (three pieces) and extend to the bottom for gluing. The engine takes the rest of the middle space.

I will try to get some more pictures this afternoon.

3 Likes

These are adorable! Our family used to play a lot of “Chicken Scratch” with double nine dominoes. Think it’s been years now. I did just pull them from the game storage to a more accessible area on the 1st floor. You never know, they might get played again yet!

5 Likes

OK, I’m curious, but all I can find is regular dominos. How does this work?

2 Likes

Lot of instructional videos. Here is one" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSo4GuclCbE

5 Likes

Those are adorable! We used to play Mexican Train every week with some friends when we lived in Arizona. Time to get the dominoes back out!

2 Likes

neat use of acrylic to make 3d trains.

2 Likes

Here are some more pictures (while we were playing today).

I measured a domino for the “station” but apparently they are not all the same size… I will need to make the holes a little bit larger.

Another “front view” of one of the trains.

Here is what they look like from the back. It is a little easier to see how they are glued together.

Not all the acrylics I was using were the same width, so there is some variance in the trains.

The only “note” my wife made about the station was that it didn’t fit in the Dominoes box. So now I might make it in two pieces and have it puzzle together.

8 Likes

I am not familiar with that game, but it reminds me of the little car in monopoly.

2 Likes

This looks so cool. Great job.

1 Like

That is some really cool layering! Looks awesome!

1 Like

I updated the station so it could fit into the Dominoes box also.

It pieces together in the middle.

There was plenty of extra room in the box so they all fit in there nicely now.

6 Likes

Great job!

1 Like

It was a lot of fun and we are definitely putting it to use!

1 Like

Or make a custom Mexican Train Dominoes box! Great look – so envious!

2 Likes