Live hinge Purse

After making wizard house earrings, I decided I wanted to try making a wooden purse to take with me on our family trip to Universal Studios. Nothing too big or heavy & that will fit in their tiny lockers.

We’re visiting all of the areas, but mostly the two Harry Potter worlds (which is why we’re dressing up a very little bit. )

I was sorted in with the Slytherins, (no complaints) but didn’t want a lot of “House”themed things because I won’t use them often. I wanted something more… anywhere/anytime.

After a lot of trying different things, I went with the Auryn Symbol (snakes) from Neverending Story.

Honestly, why aren’t these around anymore? Great image and one print makes two (opposite) symbols. It was a fun design!

The final purse fit the trip & fits my style, making it perfect! :heart:

I really love this one but I realize that a lot of times I start a project and then figure out what I want it to be along the way! :laughing:

—-

A note on the construction,: Because I was trying things to see what I liked it had several decorative phases. You’ll notice the “layers.”

The living hinges were too small so too fragile and broke- so I helped brace them together with copper tape I had around. I had an alternating copper tape and recl-diamond argyle pattern on the sides before I decided I still wanted to do snakes.

After attaching the symbol to both sides, the diamond background was too busy, so I flooded it with watered-down black acrylic. I was going for a toned-down version, but it wasn’t quite thin enough so it was just black.

That looked too odd with the wood and straps colors, and I remembered I had some gold rub&buff. - I’m not sure exactly what that stuff is, but very lightly “dry brushing” got a look I liked! It also filled in some cracks and gaps and basically covered up a lot of flaws. I’m pretty sure it acted as a sealant too.

I like how the diamond background still shows up!

So yeah, it was a fun learning journey! I hope you like it!

You can see the hinges, some braking, and the tape reinforcement. I went with the tape because I thought it would be visible, and copper is a good color.

The snap closure (preassembled part)

Alternate, but identical, images on both sides. Easy win! :grin:

!
IMG_4829|375x500

54 Likes

It may have been a lot of work, but that looks really cool! Great job!

8 Likes

Thank you!!

5 Likes

You may become the target of a purse snatcher - not for the contents, but for the purse itself. Spectacular.

14 Likes

Looks fantastic. The leather and hardware embellishments are really great too.

11 Likes

I love the shape and the snakes, so unique! Love it!

10 Likes

That’s really amazing. Had I seen it without explanation, I would never have believed you made it with a laser.

14 Likes

That is just fabulous!

10 Likes

Bravo! That is an ingenious purse. I love “make it work with what you’ve got.”

8 Likes

Gorgeous work. And I agree, that’s a fantastic symbol.

9 Likes

Excellent use for living hinge. Too many try to make it a moveable part, but they do not take constant flexing (ask me how I know, heh heh).
Entire project is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

9 Likes

The term is misunderstood, for sure. Not a hinge by any means.

This is a perfect example of its usefulness, though.

9 Likes

If someone tried to take it, I would let them. I know how to make another one!:grin:

6 Likes

Very impressive!! Indeed you will catch more than one eye while carrying it!

6 Likes

wow

3 Likes

Wonderful purse!

3 Likes

Just WOW!

3 Likes

I am always impressed by the talent of individuals. Although you may decide along the way what you’re looking to create, but in one word, what you’ve created is “beautiful.”

Although I sound silly, but during such difficulties I’m going through right now, there is a pure and palpable joy I feel when I see what you’ve done. So, know that you give at least one person, “Me,” an intangible, but uplifting feeling, you may not have known that your beautiful creation had the capacity to bring such joy into my life.

Thank you.

Michael

8 Likes

Art uplifts the spirit. I hope your difficulties dissipate and leave more room for wonder and joy.

9 Likes

Thank you so much, Michael!

Your comment has given me a tender moment. My brother, Michael, passed away a few years ago and your kindness reminds me of him.

Your response matters! You matter! You have given this one stranger on the internet a smile that had been missing for awhile!

The support and encouragement you gave me is returned to you! I hope that your times of difficulty are eased, and I pray that you are given more moments of joy!

~Rachael

8 Likes