Local Dealers rock

if you haven’t seen them, you can buy “frosted” vinyl cling sheets that work well for this. done right, it honestly just looks like frosted glass.

5 Likes

Ooooh man…what a dilemma…!

Here are the two engraves. I already had one in cast, so I just did one in extruded as well. Probably not the best image to use for an example, but you can hopefully see which is of better quality.

33 Likes

this image upsets me (without justification)

4 Likes

Aye, it was a bad example, but you can see how the extruded acrylic has a hard time with details, and what’s harder to see is how it warps a lot more easily around engraved areas. The clear sections aren’t as clear.

It looks a lot better engraved into wood =P.

34 Likes

That looks awesome. Can you tell us how you did it?:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure. I ran the engrave as normal, it was a vector engrave. Dark setting. This was on proofgrade maple ply. Then I selectively peeled off the masking to brighten up the pieces I wanted to pop out more.

It’s a tedious process, but my girlfriend loves watching movies we’ve both already seen, so this is one of the things I do while she’s doing that. Haha

11 Likes

I really like the shaded areas that you did. I wasn’t sure we would be able to do that.

3 Likes

i mean they’re both awesome, i’m just being childish about mixing franchises :smiley:

i super like that second one though, seriously.

12 Likes

It’s just soot from the engrave that’s collected on the masking. I really liked how it looked as well which is what made me just decide to leave it on there =). I made an acrylic case for it and now my gf uses it as a coaster at work =P

6 Likes

Me too (sorta), until I realized a vector cut would separate the two universes, so to speak. Awesome optimization either way! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

You’ve never seen stargate wars?

11 Likes

Back when Stargate: SG-1 was on Showtime(?), Farscape was on SyFy (or whatever they called themselves back then). Both were on Friday nights, so my wife and I started to refer to them as FarStarGateScape.

12 Likes

WOW, all super awesome, and great comparisons…thank you!!

2 Likes

Wow, that is outstanding! I really need to learn more about vector engraves…

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I’m actually surprised by how well the extruded engraved. You can tell the difference, but there wasn’t as much difference as I expected.

5 Likes

These are absolutely fabulous in the detail and creative use of operations, design and materials.

2 Likes

Some people get upset others get excited. Have you ever spotted the firefly class ship in bsg?

3 Likes

Did you notice and report this? Looks like the one of the rows misfired on the engrave. :frowning:

5 Likes

Both the design and execution are striking! The acrylic is nice, but the wood just pops.

2 Likes