Local Glowforge Repair Technicans

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a program like that? I surely would pay someone to deep clean my machine and put it back together properly. (Please don’t say you can do it yourself - some can I can’t I just took a piece down that I can’t get back up checking for cracks… Anyway its a suggestion… We have them for our sewing machines… why not this?

4 Likes

Someday :glowforge: will be a great big company with enough machines out of warranty that it could support such a business - that’ll be cool, but when you’re on the leading edge (figure this laser didn’t even exist 5 years ago) you end up being more hands-on.

9 Likes

There are enough of them out there that if you were young and did not want to get tied down to a one place job, I imagine you could van around the country fixing and cleaning them.
Influencers do it without any elbow grease, so you would have a niche all to yourself on the Internet.

Of course, for everyone of those who seem to have made it there are probably a hundred or more that failed. Silver lining there is that means there are a lot of vans to be had.

6 Likes

what piece are you referring to? I’ll bet we could help walk you through it.

Neither could anyone else until the first time.
“Argue your limitations, and sure enough - they are yours”

4 Likes

Based on her post - it’s the carriage head plate and likely the part where you have to hook the back wheels over the rear of the rail and pull forward against the spring tension to rock the front of the plate up & onto the front of the rail that’s holding her up.

5 Likes

There are millions of sewing machines, some of the big players have been around more than a hundred years. It’s a lovely wish, and I get my sewing machines serviced pretty regularly, but not even close to a similar comparison. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They had to start somewhere… and there are thousands of GFs in existence now…

2 Likes

Thats exactly it… I thought I had it correct and it snapped in place but then when I turn the machine on and it tries to focus its stuttering…

1 Like

Sounds like the belt may be twisted

3 Likes

I hope this happens someday! I would absolutely pay someone to give my GF a really good cleaning now and then. Like under the laser tube, which I cannot get to .

2 Likes

There are a few users that have branched out into Glowforge maintenance and service because it’s been asked for quite frequently. I currently stock replacement parts and upgrades. I’ve also considered offering machine maintenance services in the Phoenix area, currently working on a menu of services to provide.

7 Likes

It would be really nice for repairs. Shipping machines around the world is inefficient and slow. I do have faith that you can clean your machine, though, even if you may need a little bit of help while doing it!

3 Likes

It’s not I just can’t get the piece back on.

Yes see that’s awesome I would love to find someone here I’m in Maryland.

YESSSS I agree that $250 to ship can go to someone else who needs work!

1 Like

Yes I can’t get it back on :weary::weary:

When you tilt it forward and hook the wheels over the back of the rail make sure it will slide side to side.

Then rotate the front of the plate upwards to be horizontal and pull forward at the same time while keeping the rear wheels hooked on the back of the rail. It will be very stiff. You have to pull it forward with authority as the springs are very stiff to make sure it doesn’t fall off when it’s moving back & forth at high speed. When you’ve got it pulled forward enough the front wheels will click over the front of the rail and then you can release the carriage.

Make sure it slides easily on the rail. Also make sure the belts are facing the correct direction and are not twisted.

3 Likes

Yes after I sent the last message I think thats what I did… LOL I did secure it back and it did cut on the left side. I will do a large cut when I return home. I cleaned it last time and did cuts. But then after a while the cuts jumped out of place. I cleaned that part so maybe that was the issue idk…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.