Loft Railing using Glowforged Cutting Templates

Because of reasons and circumstances I am, at the height of middle age, with no prior experience whatsoever, building a “barndominium” home for my husband and myself. It’s almost to the point where we can move in and camp out while getting it finished as time and money allow.

I went looking online for loft railing ideas to keep us from inadvertently dying on a midnight trip to the bathroom or something, and somehow got sidetracked into a Kumiko rabbit hole, and this happened.

Because, you know, why not make it as detailed and difficult as I possibly could, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While I obviously couldn’t make this in my Glowforge, I also couldn’t have done it WITHOUT my Glowforge, because all those little angled bits require a huge amount of precision, and THAT’S where the Glowforge comes in.

I drew out my design, threw in some kerf correction, and created these templates to use when cutting out the pieces on my table saw. I absolutely couldn’t have made it work without them!

68 Likes

So good. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Just fabulous!

16 Likes

Stunning. Well done!

17 Likes

Oh. My. Word.

This is gorgeous.

And the fact that it’s potentially life-saving, even better.

14 Likes

TBH I was a bit worried about the railing keeping you from dying on a midnight trip to the bathroom
Being constructed from 3mm BB or the sort.

:rofl:

So I was great-full for the template connection and solid wood crafting skills.

21 Likes

Great piece of work there, joints are :ok_hand: :kissing_heart:

16 Likes

Oh my goodness, that is the most beautiful railing I have ever seen - on anything!! Fantastic job there lady!! Ten thumbs up!!!

17 Likes

Wow…your design is even more complicated than I imagined. Really beautiful design, work and results. :blush:

16 Likes

Spectacular…as usual!

14 Likes

Wow, that is amazing and beautiful! Thanks for sharing you process too! Very inspiring!

15 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, scale is so funny in pictures! Happy to see that your kumiko designs are still going strong!

14 Likes

So beautiful! I love all the pictures. This is eye candy you will never tire of.

14 Likes

Just beautiful!!

13 Likes

Oh gosh, a true work of art and labor of love. I should not be surprised based on your napkin holder design.

12 Likes

Brilliant and gorgeous!

8 Likes

I always love these kinds of things on the glowforge. Being able to get an exact angle or template makes things so much easier.

9 Likes

Absolutely stunning!

7 Likes

That railing is gorgeous! Good Job!

6 Likes

Stunning!!!

6 Likes