Logo Coins For The Bottom Of My Wood Bowls

I do a lot of wood turning and have always wanted to put a logo on the bottom of my bowls and finally got around to doing it.

I simply turned a small inset in the bottom of the bowls and engraved my logo on a thin piece of whatever wood i was using for that bowl. They press fit in and after i buff and re-oil the bottoms they will be pretty seamless. I wish there was some way to engrave objects taller than 2", but from now on, i plan on laser engraving the bottom segments of my bowls BEFORE I add the rest of the segments on and build them up.

36 Likes

39 Likes

I am also looking into using the GlowForge to cut out segments for my bowls that interlock together so i no longer have to hand cut my segments and clamp things together when i glue, just glue and press fit the pieces together. So far it is working out great. I will create another post about that once I get something done.

36 Likes

I’ve been thinking that this technique may have a lot of potential for any number of things to be layed up and then cut/sanded not just turnings. Knife scales for instance.

5 Likes

Those are gorgeous bowls! The coin works perfectly well…very classy!!

5 Likes

This is what I purchased my GF for. I like to sign and/or personalize my bowls, and my pyrography skills are pretty mediocre. It’s good to see this will work so well.

1 Like

hehe speaking of knife scales… already on it :slight_smile: I even used the 3D engraving to create a grip recess and a bevel down to the blade. Just needs some gentle sanding and finishing.

23 Likes

Very nice sir.

4 Likes

Well done, thanks!

2 Likes

Beautiful work.

I see you have the makings of a puzzle-bowl party. Using puzzle-rings of different diameters, and different woods, throw all of the pieces in a pile and then see what everyone can create.

5 Likes

Wow. You do beautiful work. Congrats.

2 Likes

These bowls are lovely, will definitely look forward to seeing more of your work.

3 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

You should put a link to order some of your bowls. I might need one after my move…

2 Likes

These bows are stunning…just stunning! I just started turning about a month ago, and I can’t even comprehend doing this yet. Great solution with the laser engraved coins. I like that you’re incorporating the laser engraving into other projects…I plan to do the same.

Whoa…this is cool! However, I wonder how the bowls will look as you have to turn away more in some places and different parts of the interlocking pieces shows on the outside?

I was actually using that in my design of the bowl. I planned the width of the “arrow head” so that i would get some lines in there as I tuned them just as a part of the design. if I didn’t want the arrow showing from the side, I simply have to make the arrow part the a little smaller width than what i plan the final bowl thickness to be.

this is what i am currently making these segments for.

I made this one the old fashioned way, this new one will be a completely random design /pattern with about 6 different woods.

12 Likes

You’re a far more experienced turner than I am, and way ahead on the design side too. Looks like you’ve thought it through. Great thinking!

That should look awesome!

Those are a nice addition to some lovely bowl work! :grinning:

1 Like