Long distance move with a GlowForge in winter weather

I’m getting ready to move 2000 miles, my forge will be stored and transported in a 45 foot van trailer for at least 2 months.

My question… Can the coolant be drained from the system so It will not freeze and break the laser tube?

Also I am open to suggestion on better ways of moving it.

Thanks

warmer or colder climate?
If its ending up in the west coast and being stored, you should have no real worries, BUT if we are going into colder place, then you may have some concern. the box is well padded and protected, and offers some small insulation, also there is silica packets in the foam to absorb moisture.
My biggest concern is that it NOT be stored vertically (most ignore the this side up arrows)
(fluid storage)

Maybe GF, inc has a command to put liquid back into container – If they do, I don’t know where to click on it

:stuck_out_tongue:
good luck, wherever you end up!!

Jonathan

From and to? Is there anyone in the warm place that can store and then ship it to you, or if going to a warmer place ship to someone who could keep it warm? There are climate controlled storage places that could handle the storage. You could have it stored instead of sitting in the trailer,

You might look about like sitting on top of a chest freezer (packed with books, or many boxes of books), with foam beds above and towards the outside and foam pillows and bedding filling in all about, eventually the cold would seep in but it would keep the Glowforge safe in a sharp cold snap.

1 Like

Personally I’d figure out someplace to store it that’s climate controlled. When the dust settles on your living arrangement I’d move it then.

2 Likes

Nope, it’s a closed system.

Insulation and a lizard heat mat inside? They have ones that run off USB now so a good quality battery might last that long…

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

I’d suggest posting your question again in Problems & Support and asking what the freezing point of the coolant is - AFAIK, they’ve never told us what the mystery liquid is. It seems to be non-toxic at least based on responses to posts about GFs arriving with wet internals.

2 Likes

They do list storage conditions though, which I believe are 40 degrees.

I’m not sure how cold storage effects the tube (seals and what not), compared to running at low temps. Running at very cold temps is just as detrimental to the tube as running at very hot temps.

3 Likes

you never did say where you are moving , , ,

2 Likes

Considering I can run my house off a good quality battery I somehow doubt this. I’m not talking about a 9V.

1 Like

I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by a good quality battery. He is talking about (at least) 2 months in storage.

I went ahead and looked up a small reptile mat (4x8") and it uses 12 watts @ 12v.

Converting that out to Amp Hours : (12 watts per hour) / (12v) = 1 Amp hour. Most of your deep cycle batteries are going to range from 80-200 amp hours capacity. You can get some higher amp hour batteries than that, but it’s going to be $$$. And you could obviously wire them in parallel to increase total Ah… but, a typical 100 amp hour battery would give you 100 hours of continuous usage for a 12w load, assuming you ran it all the way empty, which you wouldn’t want to do.

Storage is not running, the temps allowable for storage are much more generous than for running, but still have severe limits.

Too many unknowns. Is it in a storage company moving van? Or maybe it’s something they are personally towing and have a daily recharge capability. Maybe it’s an insulated 5th wheel camper connected electrically to the tow vehicle. But a large marine or car battery for two months? Nope.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.