Looking for guidance on multiple axe engraves

Hello everyone,
I’m looking for some guidance/ suggestions on engraving multiple axes. To specify, I have 110 to do, and on one of the sides it will say the same thing. Because of the height, I have to engrave them with the crumb tray out, and I’ve been trying to figure out the most time effective way to do them. I’ve attached a picture of the axe for reference. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would make a wood jig - and tape it to the bottom of the GF
with bottom support for proper height / focus,
this way every axe will be in the exact same position, drop / burn / next

Jonathan

" You might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuff’s are true and unafraid of toil. …"

2 Likes

This might be a good place to start:

6 Likes

I hope you are engraving this poem.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice axes! Are they home made?

okay, any suggestions on making a wood jig? I’ve never done one. I’m a novice compared to most in here, and I wouldn’t have even done this if it wasn’t for my husband’s work. Also, I see you’re a Hufflepuff. I’m a Ravenclaw!

No, my husband ordered them from budk.com. very good quality and great customer service. we’ve ordered and engraved them before, but not in this quantity.

:slight_smile:

honestly you need four 1" chunks of square wood, and a base (plywood, scrap, whatever)
take an axe, and glue the blocks to the base wood, so the blocks hug the axe
two on top and two on the bottom - this way you have a cradle for the axe to sit and
every one will be in exactly the same position, IF YOU WANT you can add a top and bottom chunk of wood to make sure the axe doesn’t move at all, need a picture?

(white are primary blocks ) yellow are secondary

Since you have so many of these to do, it will be crucial that you engrave as many as possible at one time. It seems to me you should be able to load at least three at a time. Must the engraving be on the same side of the ax for all of them or can the engraving be on either side of the handle?

2 Likes

@dklgood makes a great point regarding multiple engraves. I’ll add another tip: be sure to orient engraves so that the text is along the x-axis (left-right), to reduce the number of y-axis steps. You’re probably already doing so, but good to keep in mind as they really slow down engraves.

3 Likes

I use that reinsertable grid to knock out 100s of cheese planes (20 at a time), spoons (6 at a time), hangers (3 at a time), etc.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this! With this and batching with two additional I’m pretty confident I can do this. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was planning on batching. I’m looking at doing two, maybe three at a time. The axes are being engraved on both sides. One side will say the same thing and the other side will have a person’s name and rank.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! I was planning on doing them that way since that’s the way the engraving will go along the handle, and with the jig I think it’s the right call.

2 Likes

I can help but the description will be long but worth it. DM me!

2 Likes

Easy-Peasy.

1 Like