Lurker's First Post

I’ve followed the Glowforge since Kickstarter. I read these forums multiple times a day and owe all you so much for your knowledge and willingness to share.

I’ve owned our “forge” for close to a year now and felt it was time to post. I scanned the original 3x2 inch 1942 photo of my dad before shipping off to the pacific, removed the masking from proof grade basswood and engraved at draft settings.

I’m amazed at the detail given the age and cheap scanner I used for this. Again thank you to everyone. I’ve learned a lot!

53 Likes

Incredible quality! This is such a lovely picture, great work.

5 Likes

Great engrave and tribute. Yes, it’s a game changer! Have fun!

5 Likes

Oh wow! Great print! (I’ve restored a few photos that age, and it’s not easy to get results that good!) :grinning:

5 Likes

Glad you popped out of the shadows :). this turned out great

7 Likes

Nice engrave. Glad you are posting now and not just lurking.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome job. I tried something similar on a granite tile for my father-in-law and never got it right. :slightly_frowning_face: You’ve inspired me to go back to the drawing board. My wife would love it if I could.

I think some of these memorial/family memory type projects are the best thing @dan and company enabled. Things we just couldn’t ever do before on our own.

5 Likes

The detail in your engraving is fantastic. That is one to be proud of. :grin:

4 Likes

Always nice to hear of long-time supporters with Glowforges that work well and do what you want. Helps to moderate the challenges of dealing with the problem machines. Nice work.

3 Likes

That’s impressive detail for PG settings. Nice!

2 Likes

Nicely done. Glad you’ve spoken up!

4 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Hey, time to stop lurking and post your stuff! This is a really lovely engrave.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for kind words and encouragement. If you don’t mind here is another pic from a stock photo. Again PG Basswood but this time using the SD photo settings.

12 Likes

Striking!

1 Like

This one is even better. I am so glad you are posting and not just lurking!

1 Like

That’s really great! Love the detail you got from the photo.

1 Like

Nice job.

1 Like

Wow! Both are awesome! Really enjoyed your post … keep them coming!

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful project you chose to start off with. You nailed it. I hope you will continue to post projects in the future.