Made a new project - Not sure how to finish it

It absolutely depends on your market and who you’re aiming for, but this should easily be low to mid 3 digits. You could probably do one that’s just engraved (without the inlay on the board - or with the inlay done with paint rather than wood) for over $100.

1 Like

Not many people will drop 200-500 on a ouija board I’m guessing haha.

One trick that I found to give this more detail was a youtube video where they engraved a pattern, then put in this powder paint in the engraved part and redo the engraving and the heat reacted with the paint and it painted on a real clean design. I have yet to try it though. I could also just manually paint in the engraving using some masking.

3 Likes

Not many, but if you put in the kind of time it takes to make a masterpiece it’s worth charging for it…which is why you can also sell a much faster/simpler version for quite a bit less.

Someone on here talked about the powder coating paint, let me see if I can find it.

1 Like

Yeah, that powder coating sounded really awesome! I think the discussion was concerned that the fan would blow the powder away.

3 Likes

Here it is - yes, with straight powder you’d have to figure out a way to disable your air assist fan, but there is also a liquid you can add to the powder (per the link below, I haven’t done this)

1 Like

An awful lot depends on the desire and respect of the person getting it. Looking at your photo, I think that is walnut, though the red is likely paduk. though there are other interesting woods as well. I have also Chakte Viga that is on this list as well as the katalox. I also have Chechen which is also common in South Florida though a plague while alive. Similar but 1000 times worse than poison ivy. And like everything in the “special” box awaiting a design (and market) worthy of the material.

Blue Mohoe is another species that gets more amazing instead of less as it ages shading naturally to “blue” which can be amazing in individual cases.

Oh and forgot to add yellowheart that particularly with ouija board as with a blacklight it will beam a very bright yellow that would freak some folks out if they did not know the trick.

2 Likes

The moth looks like it’s carved from red jasper. Very beautiful.

6 Likes

It’s actually wenge and padauk. I got a really light wenge.

1 Like

Wood finished with linseed oil will darken with age. You will probably want to use the “Boiled” variety as the raw will take much longer to dry, however the raw will darken more as it oxidizes into its hardened state. The boiled is not actually boiled anymore, but chemically treated. You can convert the raw into boiled at home with the use of low heat, I sometimes do this with a counter top induction “hot plate”.

5 Likes

Can I already do more than one oil type if I already used Tung Oil?

1 Like

If you did the original artwork you could sell the pattern and let others pick the material, and do the work but there is a lot of competition.

4 Likes

That’s some bookmark-worthy info, thank you.

3 Likes

Wipe it down good with denatured alcohol or acetone and a soft cloth to remove the tung oil. It won’t be necessary to remove all of it, just get rid of any glossiness. Things to know about tung and linseed oil:

1. Neither oil provides “water proofing” or scratch protection, but tung oil does repel water better than linseed oil.

2. Both are natural oils derived by the pressing of seeds from the plants for which the oils are named. Both oils are food safe and nontoxic, raw linseed oil is actually edible and used in some food preparations.

3. Both oils should be applied in light coats and excess oil should be removed with an absorbent cloth or paper towel. Apply as many coats as needed until you achieve the finish you like

4. They both dry/harden through oxidation. Tung and boiled linseed oils will usually dry within 24 hours whereas raw linseed oil can take months.

5. DANGER… not joking … really… DANGER!! NEVER DISCARD RAGS CONTAINING TUNG OR LINSEED OIL IN AN INDOORS TRASHCAN! The drying oxidation process that makes these oils such wonderful finishes is exothermic, meaning it generates heat. This warning is as serious as not leaving your GF firing away while you check the beans on the stove. Copious amounts of heat can be generated in a short amount of time in a container with a few oily rags and spontaneous combustion can really truly happen. Lay them flat until they dry before discarding.

4 Likes

Something like that happened on episode of Bob’s Burgers lol

2 Likes

I’ve been using tung oil on my wood rings, but didn’t know about the mineral spirits. Do you have to sacrifice something to get them?

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

LOL - only time since most States won’t let them be shipped by anything but ground! I went to the local hardware store to pick some up. It definitely speeds up the drying time to use it :slight_smile:

Ooh - my husband is an MD. I don’t think I’d like him powder coated! But the process sounds fascinating.

The Spirit Board is amazing! I love the planchette. Simply wonderful.