Made some service dog patches

Made some service dog patches for a tactical dog vest, all hook and loop backed

40 Likes

I like these. What are they made of?

6 Likes

They are made with laser safe leatherette, polyester thread and hook and loop.

6 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

Very nice patches, I’m sure the service dog will be very pleased with them!

8 Likes

These turned out beautiful!

5 Likes

These look very professional.

4 Likes

Added another patch to the tactical dog vest and made some in a different color to match a smaller vest .

8 Likes

Those are fantastic!!

5 Likes

These are perfect.

5 Likes

Sharp!

5 Likes

THose are very nice! You must have a very steady sewing hand! Terrific!

5 Likes

Not sure the Pet Me one is acceptable.
Petting a service dog is distracting it and everything I ever heard on it says to avoid it.
Not judging. Maybe not a one size fits all rule?

4 Likes

My guess is that is for a therapy dog and not a service dog (SD). But you are correct, no one should ever walk up and pet or otherwise distract a service dog unless the owner has given you permission. And don’t even ask unless you know the owner, they aren’t there for others’ entertainment.

Side note/story, we were at a gathering a few weekends ago for children with the same disability as my daughter. My daughter’s service dog does not need to alert as part of his job which is one reason it is especially important never to distract a service dog. An alert SD needs to always be ON to pay attention to things such as changes in blood sugar, heart rate, etc. My daughter’s SD just needs to respond to commands, etc so in a situation such as that weekend, all of the children quickly learned that as long as he was laying down they were welcome to come to get puppy hugs. Her SD is able to pop back into working mode when needed so we do allow children to pet him when we have time and he is laying down. We feel it is worth our time to teach children about service dogs in general but more so about physical disabilities as they are usually just curious. Hopefully talking to them younger leads to fewer bullies later.

9 Likes

True, but therapy dogs, used to calm people and are taken into hospitals, assisted living facilities, are meant to be petted. Just need the right time and place for that one.

3 Likes

All the patches were on the vest originally, even the “Ask to Pet Me” patch . I just remade them with a little more flair replacing the faded, weathered and falling apart patches. I added the veteran patches to the vest with a nametag not shown. The patches now will stand up to the elements, being UV and water proofed. I did not ask what kind of service dog he was.

3 Likes

Can you share the settings you used? :smiley:

Settings can only be discussed with posts in the Beyond the Manual category.

1 Like

Sorry I thought that’s where I was! My mistake.

1 Like

No worries - I thought you might not know. It’s not something that everyone is familiar with. :slight_smile: